starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FORM CHECK FOR SQUATS 3x5 @ 295lbs (180bw)

Default FORM CHECK FOR SQUATS 3x5 @ 295lbs (180bw)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First post here as part of the Starting Strength community. I just completed 300lbs for 3x5 yesterday on squats. I'm attaching a video of myself squatting 295 from 3 days ago because its the most recent video I have. I am looking for an overall form check but mostly concerned about my depth. I also truly feel that I am low-bar squatting (keyword is FEEL), although looking at the video the bar positioning seems high and the back angle seems too vertical. I would say my depth in the attached video @295 was about the same as it was at 300lbs. I apologize in advance for not including all 5 reps (although they all were completed). I also broke the cardinal rule for showing the set-up. Based on the feedback, I may deload 10% next workout.

YouTube

Thanks for taking the time to watch.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

We've got a lot of problems here, so let's just work on the big ones.

(1) You're not driving your hips, you're lifting the chest. Drive the hips to complete the lift. Don't leg press the weight.

(2) Bar is definitely too high. No question. It should be just below the spine of the scapula, you have it on top of your traps. Ditch the hoodie to find the position more easily.

(3) You are correct that your back is too vertical. Part of this is because you have the bar in the wrong position, so it will have to be more vertical. But mostly you're trying to stay too upright. Point your tits at the floor early on the descent. And did I mention drive the hips?

Let's start there and worry about the other stuff once the big things are corrected.

Thanks for the feedback. I went back and reviewed the hip drive. I will lighten up the weight and focus on your suggestions during tomorrows workout.

Set your rack hooks lower - you are tip-toeing the weight off of them? This can be very dangerous at the end of a set, as it would require you to tip-toe the weight back on when you're in a potentially extremely fatigued state.

Rahloom - Will do. This is one of the downsides of doing the program with someone who's 6'3" I suppose..

Thanks for the tip.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Haddad View Post
    Rahloom - Will do. This is one of the downsides of doing the program with someone who's 6'3" I suppose..

Thanks for the tip.
    Gym Rule #62: When two people are sharing a rack, the shorter person sets the pins.

Here is my best attempt at a low bar squat using the hip drive at 255lbs 3 x 5. First video is the side angle and second is from the rear on a different set. Its very cold in my garage here in MI but I took off the hoodie for these sets. On the first video I did notice a difference starting at rep 3. I will say squatting this way was significantly harder for me and I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I'm using the muscles in a way they haven't been worked before.

YouTube

YouTube

Thanks for watching.

Im sure these things are far from perfect. Any advice before todays lift?

You are still very vertical and "leg pressing". Your stance is too wide and the bar could come down a bit yet.
    1. Bring your heels in by about 1/4 of their width on each side. Be sure to drive them out to the side throughout the rep.
    2. Get the bar about half its diameter lower and use a thumbless grip for now. Read and apply Bill Hannon's thoracic extension article tips.
    3. When you start the decent, break at the knees and hips simultaneously and then aim your chest to the ground by bending over from the hips.
    4. As you decend your knees should stop their fotward movement by the time you're halfway down and should not move back until you're halfway back up.

starting strength coach development program
    Jeff,

Sorry it took so long. I tried to incorporate your suggestions. The thumbless grip was causing me wrist pain so I omitted it. I will continue to practice being able to hold the bar in place with a thumbless grip as I do see the benefit to doing so.

YouTube

Its hard to tell where the bar is set on my back but I followed the video(s) suggestions and placed it uncomfortably (for me) low. This automatically seemed to push my upper body more forward.

Let me know your thoughts if you think im headed in the right direction (or otherwise). This movement feels very different from the one at the beginning of the thread.

- Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast