starting strength gym

Thread: Squat 285x5

Default Squat 285x5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Last set of 285x3x5

Working on slowing tempo down a bit, and staying high and tight at the bottom. Depth has been a little too low lately.

YouTube

This is a craptacular angle. I can say that your grip is off - your elbows are too high and your upper back isn't tight enough. You also should use a tubow to control your knee tracking - they are going too far forward. You are going a little too deep.

Used an elevated surface and the highest box in my gym, so not sure what else to tell you in regards to my video angle.

My elbows aren’t typically this high. Just tried it out for one session to create a better shelf. Will go back to my normal height tomorrow.

As far as my back being tight: I am working on bringing my grip width closer, but I was dealing with some pretty serious tendinitis building up in my bicep about a month ago, so I am forced to keep it out that wide. Will try and squeeze a little more tightness out though.

I am working on cutting depth off about an inch at a time. These are markedly better than the previous session.

What are some ways you keep the knees from shooting forward?

I appreciate the criticism. Not sure how I feel about the term, ‘craptacular’, however. It needs a bit of refining.

-G

The video doesn't show all of you, particularly your lower shin and feet so it's hard to say anything about your stance; hence a craptacular angle for the video.

Read Bill Hannon's thoracic extension article for some good advice on fixing upper back softness. For the knees, set up a tubow, that's the most useful and expedient way to help fix their tracking issues. Regarding depth, if you can't "feel" where to cut it off, set up a stack of plates at the right height and squat to it to help dial that in.

Hey GSteinbrink,

I think I have the same problems in my squat that you do. I ended up developing some tendonitis a while ago due to cranking my elbows up to keep the bar stabilized instead of getting my grip in more narrow, so I'm working on that as well. To go along with that, I notice you stare pretty straight down on the floor at the beginning of each rep which is another habit of mine. It didn't become a problem until I've gotten to the mid 200s, but I think the super low eye gaze is preventing me from keeping my thoracic back in tight extension, and it may be the same case for you. Try a higher eye gaze and see if that helps keep the back tight.