starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift form check - 345 lbs

Default deadlift form check - 345 lbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

I had a bad workout last saturday and missed a rep on squats for the first time and then missed a rep on deadlifts for the first time. I re-did the weight for squats and got all 15 reps (posted elsewhere) and i also re-did the same weight on deadlifts and hit all 5 reps although the last one doesn't look pretty. any help on my deadlift form would be appreciated. Thanks.

On reps 4 and 5 you do not squeeze your chest up and it looks like you are using a lot of low back to get this weight up. Deadlifts are hard. Keeping the steps and your form together when things get challenging is difficult. Every rep you must squeeze your chest up and set your spine in rigid flat extension.

Your stance is too wide. You also can pull your back into tighter extension. Don't breath at the top. Are those hooks on your wrists?

Thanks kyle. Jeff, no they are versa grips. I've been learning to hook grip but i'm not that good at it yet so i put those things on for my working set. I'm able to do all my warm up sets with the hook grip though.

Why not just use chalk or something instead of those things?

I do use chalk when i'm practicing the hook grip but i'm just not that good at it yet and i don't want my grip to limit my deadlift progress. I had some pain in the bicep of my supinated arm while using the over under grip so i didn't want to mess around hurt myself. I think it might be time to back off 10% on my deadlift sometime in the near future as my form seems to be breaking down pretty bad during my last rep or two. so maybe i will start using the hook grip for my working set when i deload and then continue my linear progression with it. Are you not a supporter of lifting straps? I have never competed in powerlifting by the way.

Hey David Knight,

I agree with breathing at the top; hold your Valsalva through the entirety of the pull just to make sure you're not allowing yourself to loosen up while you put 345 pounds back on the ground. Your form really doesn't look too bad, and it's with some pretty good weight. I would say focus on keeping your chest up to tighten the upper back (keeping your eye gaze further out in front of you may help this), and try not to pause so long between reps. I see some happy feet around the last couple of reps; it almost looks like you're taking too long to get tight in between each rep which will fatigue you quicker than you'll want to. Squeeze what more you can out of LP, man!

As a side note, I wouldn't worry about using straps. It says right in the book that approaching working sets of deadlifts is better done with straps if you're not competing simply because it'll avoid the unilateral forces applied by the switched grip. As long as you're using a double overhand for warm up sets or slowly integrating a hook grip like you mentioned, you're doing nothing wrong there.

It looks like your hips aren't lowering enough. Do you feel a lot of work being put on the lowerback? Also your foot stance is kinda wide but that isn't too big of a problem if it feels comfortable.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you everyone. I will definitely start holding my vasalva through the whole rep and work on not taking so long between reps. I used to have a problem with lightheadedness while deadlifting but i haven't had that happen in a while. I think that's when i first started exhaling at the top and taking longer breaks between reps. I also have gradually moved my feet out a little wider over time, i think it helps me get my lower back a little flatter.