starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Technique Check (Trying out Low Bar)

Default Squat Technique Check (Trying out Low Bar)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Just made the transition from high bar squats to low bar, so I'm looking for any feedback on my technique (such as bar position, depth and back angle). Really appreciate all your help!

These aren't too bad, but you have some grip issues. Your wrists really shouldn't be so far in front of the bar. You may need to widen your hands some, but definitely watch and apply the squat grip clarification video. You're a little tentative as you near the bottom, but I think fixing the grip, practice, and gaining weight will help.

Good notes from Jeff. In addition, I would also leave your toes right where they're at, but turn your heels in a little closer together and shove your knees out harder on the descent. And at the top of each rep, take in a huge breath and puff your chest up/out while clamping down with hard with your abs.

What's your height/weight?

Agreed with Jeff re: the grip issue.

It would be useful to see your stance in the first video (check Tom Campitelli's post on "Suggestions for filming form checks").

Take a big breath at the top before beginning each rep. This intake of breath - coupled with clamping down on the abs and getting tight - it should be visible and audible to people watching you.

Do not pause at the bottom. Come right back up. Think: "Rebound."

Get some lifting shoes. They are magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hannon View Post
    Good notes from Jeff. In addition, I would also leave your toes right where they're at, but turn your heels in a little closer together and shove your knees out harder on the descent. And at the top of each rep, take in a huge breath and puff your chest up/out while clamping down with hard with your abs.

Sorry Bill - I went away, came back, and then posted without rechecking for comments (since I just echoed your breath comment).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hannon View Post

Hi, I'm around 6 feet 1 inch and 130lbs

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for all your help guys!