starting strength gym

Thread: FORM CHECK first time trying low-bar

Default FORM CHECK first time trying low-bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Could someone critique my form for low-bar? YouTube

Kind of hard to critique because of the angle of the video. It looks like at least your upper back is not set tight enough (Read Bill Hannon's article). You're also "leg pressing" your squat. Break at the hips and knees at the same time, and then get your hips moving back more.

A few things to help:
    1. To echo Jeff's video angle comment, read this before posting videos: Suggestions for filming form checks (it's also a sticky at the top of the Technique forum). Doing so will permit a much better viewing angle for form checks and feedback. The 2nd and 3rd bullet points are especially useful - a rear 45 angle usually works pretty nicely (or a rear 30, i.e., if you're in the middle of a clock looking in the direction of 12 o'clock, then the camera would sit at either 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock).
    2. Go here for some help with the grip: A Clarification on the Squat Grip | On the Platform.
    3. Point your chest at the floor as your start the descent and drive your hips up on the ascent. This may be illuminating (it's cued up to 2:53, but the entire video is worth watching): Correct Back Angle | On the Platform.

Just to hijack - Phil, I saw one of your trainees wearing a Testify shirt on a plane flight a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Just to hijack - Phil, I saw one of your trainees wearing a Testify shirt on a plane flight a few weeks ago.
    Excellent - my plan for world domination is right on track. Seriously, though, that's fun to hear - thanks.