starting strength gym

Thread: Novice Deadlift Form check

Default Novice Deadlift Form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there! I am now 4 weeks into the Novice program. I did the program for a couple months last summer, then started my first year of teaching and ran out of time for everything.
    I am 5'7" and weigh 155 pounds. Deadlifting 150lbx5x3 and this video is of my last set. This is my first time posting so sorry the camera angle isn't great (I need to buy a tripod obviously). Here is the link for my deadlift:

Amazon Drive

Pretty solid. Could use a bit more lumbar extension("arch") when you squeeze tight at the bottom

That's great that you're working you way through the novice linear progression. Some thoughts:
    1. Check Steve Hill's post, Posting to the Technique Forum, and Tom Campitelli's post, Suggestions for filming form checks, for filming. The short take-away here - get a front 45 or front 30 angle to record from on a deadlift and make sure we can see your entire setup (Stance, grip, shins, chest, pull). Judging by your comment regarding the camera angle, you might have already read those posts and were just working with what you had at the time, but if you haven't read them, please do. If you want good feedback, people need good video.
    2. Agreed with Ryan regarding extension. The first rep is decent, but it degrades somewhat over the succeeding reps. The effort it takes to setup properly will be uncomfortable. If it isn't, it's wrong.
    3. You're pulling the bar around the knees. To see this, watch the first rep closely (before the camera starts to move due to setting the bar down). Watch the near end of the bar only and try to ignore everything else. You'll notice the bar doesn't travel vertically but instead moves out and away from you as it starts upward. Cue yourself to "push the floor away" at the start of the deadlift - the deadlift has an initial knee extension, and this cue can help with that. For a more complete explanation, read Nick Delgadillo's article "Scraped Shins on the Deadlift | Nick Delgadillo" - the whole article is worth reading, but the last two paragraphs relate to what we're talking about here.
    4. Are you doing 3 work sets of the deadlift or is that just a copy-and-paste holdover from your squat post?

Thanks for the all the great feedback!

1. I did check out the info on filming and posting videos for form checks, so I will definitely know what to do next time I want to take a video.
    2. I will definitely work on my extension! I think I was better about this when the weight was lower, but it looks like I am getting a little lazy with it now that it is starting to get heavy.
    3. After watching the video again, I can definitely tell the bar isn't moving vertically. I think I am constantly nervous about banging me knees with the bar (which I have done before). I need to get over it. And I will definitely try that cue and read that article.
    4. Yes, I am doing 3 sets of deadlift. The Practical Programming book says that women can typically do 3x5 for deadlift (pg. 217 and 218) during Novice Program. And I will probably switch to 4x3 at the first sign of a slow down.

Thanks again!

You're welcome, and as for 4, you are absolutely correct - using multiple sets is just fine (I just was curious if you were in fact doing that or if it was a copy-and-paste holdover). I hope your training is going well!

starting strength coach development program
    Proper lifting shoes will be most helpful as you move ahead to heavier weights.