starting strength gym

Thread: Knees coming forward spot check

Default Knees coming forward spot check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My knees seem to be coming forward when I hit the bottom. I am keeping my torso as stiff as possible and wonder if my stance may be a bit too narrow or maybe not flaring out the knees? Any suggestions? I took a shot from behind but it got erased so I did one at the end of the workout with lower weight sorry about that. Thanks!

Link:
    Side @ 275 x5
    YouTube

Rear
    YouTube

You are too upright and looking straight ahead. Look at the floor and lean over to start the descent.

What satch said for sure. You need to really sit your butt further back and lean over more. You should feel a stretch in your hamstrings.

Your stance is about half a foot's width too wide. Bring your heels in that distance and then drive your knees out. Don't look in the mirror. Break at the knees and hips at the same time and then immediately aim your chest at the ground.

Awesomely. Great suggestions all, I will post a follow up tomorrow after my next squat session. I will use all of this. Thanks again to everyone!

So, I focused more on what you guys have been suggesting. I do notice that I lost a bit of depth here but wanted to show you the follow up video, YouTube

Your depth is still fine, crease of your hip is still below the top of your knee, so don't worry about that. It looks like your chest is coming up a little faster than your hips out of the bottom so try to focus on keeping your back angle the same during the drive up out of the hole. What would probably help is if you really made sure you kept your head aimed at a spot on the ground about 5 ft in front of you, instead of lifting your head up with each rep. Also, concentrating on driving your hips straight up would probably help too. Just don't over exaggerate the hip drive and turn it into a stripper squat where your hips go up and your back becomes fully horizontal.

Where do you live?

I live in western mass and am desperately searching for anyone to help me. I would be willing to pay for form checks and could really just use someone with some experience to help me. I would be willing to travel out to Springfield or Brattleboro if need be. Does anyone know anyone around here?

starting strength coach development program
    Looks like you'll need to travel a little to get to a coach: SSCA : Coaching