starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check - Back Pain

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check - Back Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Howdy friends!

First time poster here. I've been experiencing some weird back pain different from the usual soreness in my erectors after some heavy lifting. Was just curious if anything in my form could be to blame.

Deadlift:
    135x3 warmup set:
    Shared album - Tyler Reaves - Google Photos

185x5 working set:

Squat: 175 x 5

Set 1:

Set 2:

Set 3:

Huge fan and advocate of the starting strength method, and I'm more than confident that I'll be able to reach my strength goals my utilizing it. Thanks for your time, and thanks for the help!

Deadlift: You really need to watch and apply the 5-step deadlift set up video. You're too far away from the bar and are "squatting" the deadlift.

Squat: This isn't a good angle as I can't see your grip or your stance (both of which may be off). The bigger issue is that you're doing some sort of amalgam of high bar and low bar squat which is pretty wonky. If you're going to do a low bar squat, you need to break at the hips and knees at the same time and immediately get your chest aimed at the ground. Push your hips back more and stop your knees' forward movement. You are also way too loose and are going way too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Deadlift: You really need to watch and apply the 5-step deadlift set up video. You're too far away from the bar and are "squatting" the deadlift.

Squat: This isn't a good angle as I can't see your grip or your stance (both of which may be off). The bigger issue is that you're doing some sort of amalgam of high bar and low bar squat which is pretty wonky. If you're going to do a low bar squat, you need to break at the hips and knees at the same time and immediately get your chest aimed at the ground. Push your hips back more and stop your knees' forward movement. You are also way too loose and are going way too low.
    Thanks Jeff! I'll be sure to record at a better angle tomorrow and see if that clears things up with regards to grip and stance. With regards to tightness (or in my case, looseness), what exactly do you mean? I'm taking a huge belly breath at the beginning of every rep and bracing as hard as I can, so I'm not sure how I can get much tighter. Also, are you saying that I essentially need to "fix" my back angle and bend over just a tad more at the bottom of the lift?

The deadlifting video really helped, and pulling the weight too far out in front of me is likely to blame for the back pain. Makes sense to me anyway.

I definitely need to re-read the squat and deadlift sections of the book I think. Thanks again for the advice!

There's more to tightness than just a belly breath. You need to squeeze everything hard to help control the bar. Treat the thing like it's 1,000 pounds regardless of what it actually weighs.

Watch this and then compare it to your squat - that should show the differences you need to make up.