starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift form check

Default deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

Are these okay?

Your lock out is too soft and you're letting your hips drop just a little bit. These may also be rather light for the use of straps.

What do you mean by too soft? Back just not vertical enough before I set the weight down?

Knees and hips not in sufficient extension.

If you are locking out at the top you should be able to stand there for a period of time before you put it down. At least see you you can count one thousand one, one thousand two while in lockout. I agree concerning the use of straps. Before going to that point try the inverse grip or the hook grip. The weights are simply not heavy enough to use straps.

Is it just me or do these look like a kind of row/deadlift hybrid? Might it just be an artifact of the video and his body being concealed by the squat stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Your lock out is too soft and you're letting your hips drop just a little bit. These may also be rather light for the use of straps.
    Why does it have to be a certain weight before using straps? I'm just relearning to DL. My grip used to give out around 185lbs and now gives out around 225lbs so for my current work set of 245lbs I use straps and all warm ups are done using double overhand.
    I tried mixed grip and didn't feel as strong and tried hook grip but couldn't get a good grip around the bar and also ended up having to drop the bar.

Argument could be made for its not a good idea to switch in straps for workset since warmups were done without but I haven't noticed anything wrong with that and would be doing the same thing from double overhand to mixed and this way I can work my grip on the warm up sets and also improve grip workout to workout while not letting my grip limit my back workout. How is it not all relative?

It doesn't really need to be a certain weight, it just seems that for a guy Hostile's size, a weight under 300 pounds seems kind of light for straps. If he actually can't hold on to that weight but can deadlift it for sets correctly, well, fine. Usually, I'll suggest considering a different bar and using chalk before doing anything else (there are a lot of lousy bars out there). Then I'd work on changing the grip to over/under (I usually have everyone just start off with a hook and be done with it so they learn it from the very beginning as opposed to having to try and learn it once things are actually heavy).

Really, at the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with picking up something too heavy for you to hold on to, but it's got to be even better to be able to actually hold on to the thing you're picking up.

starting strength coach development program
    Why not learn to lock out?