starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSB squat check. 290# form is beginning to break down.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Yes what I mean is that instead of holding your breath you are letting it out and groaning once you reach depth, which is going to prevent the valsalva and consequently the stretch reflex. You should not be afraid of the stretch reflex. At the bottom of the squat the hamstring shortens from the attachment at the knee and lengthens from the attachment at the hip, resulting in it being at resting length at the bottom. This is enough to create tension to "bounce" off of, but not as much as say something like an RDL or deficit deadlift which will overstretch the hamstring. Additionally, the low bar squat puts zero stress on the ligaments of the knee, which is why people who have had their ACL's removed have been able to perform the low bar squat without issue. All the work is done by the surrounding musculature.
    Thank you for the advice. I worked thru my warmups practicing the bounce and holding my breath. I teduced my weight to 270 and still could not manage the bounce. I reduced to 245 and did 3 sets there. I will work up from that weight and focus on form amd staying tight. .

Monday 2/26/18. Deload to 245 to hit depth and control valsalva.

YouTube

Much better. You still tend to want to release the valsalva a tad early on the later reps but overall solid. Just build back up from here

I really appreciate the help. Even if it burst my bubble. I was so huped to be closing in on 300.
    Im sure I will get up there this month.

This morning i did 265. I really need to focus on the bounce and holding my breath.

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Nice work. It sometimes helps with the bounce to be thinking about the "up" part of the squat as you descend, so that as soon as you reach depth, you explode up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12