starting strength gym

Thread: Squat help...grip/back issues

Default Squat help...grip/back issues

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve been having issues with keeping my chest up (at least it looks that way) and I think my grip is partially to blame. I’ve finaly stretched my shoulders to where they can tolerate a thumb over grip. When I unrack my wrists look good, but then it falls apart from there. I try to imagine bending the bar over my back, but i think after the first rep I forget it.

YouTube

I’m sure there is more to work on as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, I’ve read the spinal flexion article and will re-read. Finally, I will not wear dark pants next time. Thank you!

I actually think the bar isn't low enough that that's the start of the problem (like 1-2 inches high) and your elbows are too high and you are forced to over correct and exaggerating their role - once it starts getting heavy you are going to hurt yourself, and I bet you are already quite uncomfortable and not actually that stable - it's resting on your arms not your shoulders right now and you can see the bar rolling and wiggling around.
    Reread the bar placement section, get it lower and keep your shoulders tight, elbows up and tight but roughly neutral with your torso. Gravity and your hands will clamp it down like it's in concrete, you'll be tight and the bar won't be going anywhere but you won't feel like you are a pretzel either.

Your chest seems OK to me, and I think your focus on it is causing you to lose hip drive. Just keep it tight and pivot from your hips down and up. Correct bar placement will probably correct this also.

I have long forearms too, try wrapping your thumb around and see if makes your life easier - if your shelf is still rigid and you are doing everything else right who cares, having said that if you correct your bar placement/angle issues it very well might resolve itself organically.

Watch YouTube

I’ll work on bar placement for Wednesday. Also, I find the thumb around grip is easier, but my elbows shoot back slightly further and my wrists are not flat. I might switch back to it after I fix bar placement. Thank you.

Update to last post:

• I’ve been continuing my stretching for the thumb over grip
    • Continuing working on thoracic extension (hard to tell with hoodie)
    • Lowered bar placement
    • Working on knee travel

A few workouts ago, I began experiencing some slight right knee discomfort after squatting. Used knee sleeves for first time tonight. Still a little outside knee discomfort on right knee.

Other pants in the wash, so dark pants again. Sorry.

YouTube 45ish degree view

YouTube Side view

Your back is not in extension. Read Bill Hannon's thoracic extension article. You are looking up. Your knees are coming too far forward.

Thanks Jeff. I’ll re-read the article. I do notice I lift my head a lot on the ascent. I’ll work on the knees again too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Bill Hannon's thoracic extension article
    Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon