Thread: DL Form Check

Default DL Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Training Log: Dozer's Training Log

Height: 175cm (5ft 9in)
    BW: 97.75kg (215.5lbs)
    Working weight: 110x3x2 (245lbs)
    Rehabing Right SI-joint injury. 5s were being painful, switched to 3s.
    Best DL: 152.5x5 (335lbs)

Notes:
    1) Painfree reps.
    2) I'm concerned about the negative part of the lift. Can you look @ that?

The setup and the pull off the floor look good to me but I think there might be a tiny issue with the hip vs spinal flexion when setting the bar down. That could be causing the SI pain. Check out the youtube video "Hip flexion vs. Spinal Flexion Starting Strength."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post
    The setup and the pull off the floor look good to me but I think there might be a tiny issue with the hip vs spinal flexion when setting the bar down. That could be causing the SI pain. Check out the youtube video "Hip flexion vs. Spinal Flexion Starting Strength."
    I injured my SI when I was Squatting (here). - 5 weeks ago
    I had issues with the DL (pains) ON THE WAY UP, when the bar has passed my knees (here) - 4 weeks ago
    I HAVE NEVER had pain when I was lowering something.
    In this form check I had no pain whatsoever. I always keep my brace, push the butt back and after the bar has hit the floor relax my position (this might have confused you where you see me flex my low back when I drop the bar), after that I take a deep breath, shove my chest between my hands and extend my upper to lower back. I don't think I'm lowering it with my back in flexion like the guy is on the video you pointed out.
    If you look closely when I start the descent the first thing that moves is my hips going backwards.

Any other points of view ?

You're setting up too far from the bar. So, when you bring your shins to the bar, your hips have dropped too much. Get set up closer, take grip, shins to bar, keep hips HIGH, squeeze chest up to flatten lumbar and thoracic spine, then SQUEEEEEZE the bar of the floor. Once the weight has left the floor, leg press the floor away from you. Attempting to lift the weight instead of leg pressing the floor often leads to hip drop.

I'd also fix your gaze... seems to close to you... pick a spot about 10-15 feet in front of you!+

Watch this video.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by andersonoo7 View Post
    You're setting up too far from the bar. So, when you bring your shins to the bar, your hips have dropped too much. Get set up closer, take grip, shins to bar, keep hips HIGH, squeeze chest up to flatten lumbar and thoracic spine, then SQUEEEEEZE the bar of the floor. Once the weight has left the floor, leg press the floor away from you. Attempting to lift the weight instead of leg pressing the floor often leads to hip drop.

I'd also fix your gaze... seems to close to you... pick a spot about 10-15 feet in front of you!+

Watch this video.

YouTube
    Dude if my hips were too low they would be shooting up when I initiate the lift. If my hips get higher than this I would be more horizontal, shoulders more in front of the bar and bar not just under the scapula which would be non-advantageous position.

I agree with the gaze position though. I'm a kinda looking very close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iksan Ismailov View Post
    Dude if my hips were too low they would be shooting up when I initiate the lift. If my hips get higher than this I would be more horizontal, shoulders more in front of the bar and bar not just under the scapula which would be non-advantageous position.
    Raising your hips will create a more vertical shin angle which will, in turn, pull your shins back from the bar. This IS not advantageous, as you state, as you'll create a largercmoment arm. However, setting you stance closer to the bar initially should reduce this and keep your shoulders from being too far in front of the bar when you initiate the pull. less desirable is go through your setup as you have been, raise hips and pull bar back to where your shins have moved to.

I do agree that your hips don't appear to be shooting up out of the bottom, however.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but I have no idea what you're talking about. My shoulders are not far infront of the bar when I initiate the pull. They are just slightly forward of the bar and the bar is staying right under my scapula. I set the bar over mid-foot and push the floor. Bar stays in contact with my legs all the way up, after it has passed my knees I extend my hips and finish the lift.
    My shins are not vertical, during my set-up they travel forward and in order to have room to extend them (push the floor) a more horizontal shin angle is needed which is what you see in my video.

Iksan, there's nothing wrong with these. If you perform the setup correctly, I wouldn't expect form degradation when doing triples at 70% of your best set of fahve.

I think it would be more useful to see a set of 5 to see what changes at those last two reps. Seeing a set of 5 at 120-130 would be more useful in diagnosing any errors.
    David Abdemoulaie, SSC
    Chicago Strength & Conditioning

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by David Abdemoulaie View Post
    Iksan, there's nothing wrong with these. If you perform the setup correctly, I wouldn't expect form degradation when doing triples at 70% of your best set of fahve.

I think it would be more useful to see a set of 5 to see what changes at those last two reps. Seeing a set of 5 at 120-130 would be more useful in diagnosing any errors.
    I switched to 3s because 5s were painful and my sacroilitis was flaring up very often. I deloaded to 100kg (225lbs) and worked back up in 5lbs increments for 2x3. I just wanted to see if my form was the issue. I'm making plans to switch to 5s soon. Next form check probably will be a set of 5. Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast