starting strength gym

Thread: Form check - squat, press, DL

Default Form check - squat, press, DL

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Evening, all. I'm 40 yo, ~170 lb, and working through the later stages of a novice LP. I've sought form checks a number of times on the SS subreddit, and figured that it made more sense to come to the source. Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

Squat: Working back up to heavy after a deload brought on by an injury (unrelated to training). Yes, the first rep was pretty bad.

Overhead press: lighting is not great, I hope that this is still useful.

Deadlift: apologies again for the poor lighting in this video, I need to bring in a lamp for these.

Squat- your stance is too narrow by several inches. Your back, particularly your upper back, needs a harder extension, you are going too deep, your knees are going about two inches too far forward.

Press- your elbows are a bit behind the bar (this may or may not be tied to a grip issue). Get tighter.

Dead - stance is too wide and you are too far from the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Squat- your stance is too narrow by several inches. Your back, particularly your upper back, needs a harder extension, you are going too deep, your knees are going about two inches too far forward.

Press- your elbows are a bit behind the bar (this may or may not be tied to a grip issue). Get tighter.

Dead - stance is too wide and you are too far from the bar.
    Jeff, thanks very much for those observations. Plenty to work on. With respect to the extension of my upper back, I assume that you mean I need to hold it stiffer (i.e. not to allow it to round out)?

Thanks again! I'll give that article a couple of reads; it seems like an issue that will be troublesome to correct without coaching. I'm definitely prone to at least one of the errors that indicates this ("the hips shoot back as the lifter comes out of the hole"). Cue for tomorrow's session: superman chest.