starting strength gym

Thread: Paused DL critique

Default Paused DL critique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys!

Been implementing some paused DLs into my training and would appreciate some feedback! Been doing this beltless and I’m concerned about my back. I’ve always been a little ‘flexy’ but I have a hard time distinguishing what is acceptable and to what isn’t. And any help on if the pauses are ok
    Thanks!

305 for fave
    YouTube

I'm pretty bad at judging deadlifts, so take this with a grain of salt, but you aren't setting your back fully in any of these reps which is particularly unusual since paused deadlifts are supposed to be a light variant. You also keep dropping your hips and pushing the bar forward right before a lot of these reps (probably has something to do with all the booty shaking you perform between reps). Once you get the bar over the midfoot between reps and bring your shins to it, keep your hips where they are, reset your back and squeeze the bar off the floor just like on the first rep only faster.

Other big thing, and disregard this if it specifically says otherwise in your program, is paused dl's are usually done with a 2 second pause at the bottom. These seem like really short pauses to me.

As KangaJoo says, your back is letting go. It looks like you get it set pretty well, but it goes a bit soft around the pause. I would slow your intial pull a bit, then pause, and then accelerate through to the end.