Default Deadlift, squat and OHP form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat, 185 lbs: YouTube

Deadlift, 200 lbs: YouTube

Press, 95 lbs: YouTube

All videos are from my last sets.

I know the squatting video is a bit reckless in terms of safety, I've ordered a couple of saw horses to put behind the bench where I squat so that there's something to catch the bar if I fall in future, they will arrive soon.

Not a coach, obviously, so I can't give you the best cues.

Squat: don't bob at the bottom. Smoothly down, bounce off at thighs parallel, smoothly up. The bar also looks pretty high up on your back, though I find that hard to judge.

Deadlift: I think that you shouldn't be leaning back so far at the top lockout. You'll hurt your back if you keep that up. At lockout, you shouldn't be leaning forward or backward, but neutral.

Press: don't lean back so far at the bottom after each rep. I think that you need to finish with the bar closer to your body (basically touching your collar bones) so that you don't need to lean back as far. Try descending a little slower and pausing briefly at the bottom so your reset is cleaner.

PS I have those same shoes; they're great.

Squat: don’t settle and bounce around at the bottom as stated earlier. Just down and up. You can see that your breaking at the hip and then the knee. You need both at the same time to get knees forward a bit more and sit back into the squat so you use more hip drive. I would also like to see the wrists straighter because when the weight gets heavy you’ll potentially have wrist issues but can’t tell if you’re thumb is over or under the bar.

Press: main thing here is elbows and potentially width of your grip. Your elbows are behind the bar and they need to be in front of the bar. I would start with a neutral stance for press meaning head neutral with tight upper back and elbows in front. Then tighten up the quads and drive the hips forward (don’t wind up for this). When the hips go forward you’ll feel the bar drop a bit for the bounce and then drive it up and back. Most the time driving the bar back feels strange but it is a good cue to actually have us drive it straight up rather than further away from our face. Keeping the bar close is important.

DL: generally it’s ok with a couple tweaks. Don’t hinge back at the top as pointed out earlier. Also if you look at your toes you’ll notice a lot of the weight being near the heels rather than mid foot which is what you want. Look up the 5 step setup and try that. When you get tight at the bottom it is not comfortable and a lot of energy is used if done correctly. You need to get the back tighter than you are right now and you’ll squeeze the bar off the ground at these weights.

You’re doing a good job of dragging the bar up the legs. Keep that up and having tight lats at the start of the lift will help as it gets heavier.

Are those plates standard size?

Sorry for the slow response guys, I appreciate the advice and pointers

I will focus on trying not to hinge back at the top, I just usually worry about my lockout not being strong enough so I try to really roll my shoulders back, but I guess I've gone too far the other way now

I will also get rid of the bob at the bottom of the squat, and my thumbs are over the bar not around it. I'm actually unable to keep my wrists straight in line with my arms when I'm in position for the squat, I'm not flexible enough.

The reason I lean back as I bring the bar down on the press is because I know before each rep you're supposed to hinge at the hips and then drive the bar up, and that you move your head around the bar rather than the other way around, so how do I lower the bar without moving my body and head backwards? Or do I hinge back, push the bar up as I straighten, then hinge again as I lower it and straighten out again before beginning the next two and hinging again? I guess I thought it was supposed to be one fluid motion and that there was no reason to straighten out again at the bottom, and instead just begin the next two seeing as I'm already in the hips forward, head back position.

Also the largest plates are below standard size, they're 35 lbs. Is that an issue? I know it increases the range of motion on my deadlift but I'm reasonably short anyway so I thought that would be a good thing for me.

Oops it seems a couple of times I went to type the word rep in the paragraph about my press it was corrected to the word two for some reason and I dont know how to edit my post on mobile

That deadlift is pulled from a heel without the quads. In the step where you bring the shins to the bar, try lowering the hips to do that. That will place your knees a little bit forward and let you use your quads. After that think about pushing the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    Also if you look at your toes you’ll notice a lot of the weight being near the heels rather than mid foot which is what you want.
    This was supposed to say NOT what you want as stated by others. Alan Thrall has a pretty good 5 step DL setup video and it’ll probably feel like you’re leaving too far over the bar but that’ll just put you into position to use more muscle mass (quads/hams)