Thread: Deadlift Form Check.... not much form really :(

Default Deadlift Form Check.... not much form really :(

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

First time posting.... I am doing a variation of SS

5'11 / male/ 188lbs / 30-31" inseam

Current working set weights: BP 235lbs, Row 140lbs, OHP 107.5lbs, CU BW (Tennis elbow set me back, I was +22.5lbs), Squat 180lbs, Deadlift 225lbs

You can see the issue.... my legs are fricking weak,

Deadlift 225 x 3 reps, 5 reps

YouTube

YouTube

I cannot keep my back from rounding, my balance is total off, my grip strength is pathetic..... My squat isn't much better, I will post a form video in a few days when I do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am I a long torso, short legs kinda guy? Do I need to get into more of a squat position (drop my hips)?

Thank you

Also, sorry about the length of time between sets, it's just so uncomfortable for me, I take forever.

First:

Suggestions for filming form checks

Now, you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to grab the bar while seemingly keeping your back in extension. This causes you to bring your shins to the bar almost immediately and push the bar away from you. Then, you completely relax once you have the bar and never set it again before you pull.

I'd recommend you revisit the deadlift chapter of SSBBT3, which you've undboubtedly read, and follow the 5-step method for pulling off of the floor. Here's the handy dandy summary:

Deadlift starting Position Critique

This should get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    First:

Suggestions for filming form checks

Now, you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to grab the bar while seemingly keeping your back in extension. This causes you to bring your shins to the bar almost immediately and push the bar away from you. Then, you completely relax once you have the bar and never set it again before you pull.

I'd recommend you revisit the deadlift chapter of SSBBT3, which you've undboubtedly read, and follow the 5-step method for pulling off of the floor. Here's the handy dandy summary:

Deadlift starting Position Critique

This should get you started.
    Thanks Satch.

Yeah, it was a bad film job, that was my bad, typically I try to capture my full body.

Not sure if I am misreading a sarcastic tone about reading the 5 step process. Yes, I have read the 5 step process.

What I am trying to say is that it is seemingly impossible for me to complete the 5 step process because I cannot keep my hips up, grab the bar, while maintaining back tightness, etc.

The weight seems to be too heavy for me, which is causing my grip to slip, length of time between reps, and inability to set when I grab the bar.

Which is why I am asking if my hips are too high given my body proportions do grab the bar, maintain neutral back, and complete the process.

But to your point, when I deadlift next, I will focus on the 5 steps and make sure to set after grabbing the bar.

I used to have the same problem.

I solved it by widening my stance a bit and turning my feet out. My hips were locking up and forcing the pelvis to tuck under. Once I made these slight tweaks, I was able to keep my back in perfect position.

Quote Originally Posted by jbackos View Post
    I used to have the same problem.

I solved it by widening my stance a bit and turning my feet out. My hips were locking up and forcing the pelvis to tuck under. Once I made these slight tweaks, I was able to keep my back in perfect position.
    Thanks jbackos.... how wide are we talking? How much are we turning the feet out? I will deload to around 205lbs, and try this new method and see if I can work my way back up.

starting strength coach development program
    I think what Satch is getting at is that if you follow the 5 step process you should bend over to grab the bar in Step 2 without worrying about keeping your back flat and bringing your knees forward. That comes in Steps 4 and 3, respectively.

See the 3:38 mark in Alan Thrall's tutorial video here:
    YouTube