starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check 190

Default squat form check 190

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have no clue why these videos look so distant on yt. They're pretty much close-ups on my phone.

Anyways, heres the rear 45 degree and one from the side.

Does anybody know why it feels like my left side is doing all of the work?

45 degree: YouTube

side: YouTube

Those look like some pretty nice squats. Many of the reps didn't appear to hit depth. You'd want to be a smidgen deeper.

From the side-angle shot, it looked like your weight was perhaps shifted toward your heels. Your toes were flexing up, and while I suppose you could do that while maintaining mid-foot balance, I'd at least give that a thought as to where your balance was placed.

Thanks for taking the time jesse. You mentioned that my toes flexed up which might indicate that I'm farther back on my heels than I should be, but based on the bar path and how the knees seem to poke forward a bit in the second half of the descent, wouldn't you say the weight is too far forward of mid-foot (at least at the bottom)?

Buy a pair of weightlifting shoes. Seriously. That alone will clean up your squat considerably. It will help you hit depth and prevent your feet rocking back and toes curling up. It will provide a stable surface for your feet to push against and will allow both sides of your body to contribute to the lift in a more balanced manner.

I had a pair for years, they just broke a couple weeks ago. My squats in them were all very, very ugly. But of course, I need to replace them, you're right