starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'll try again here Fernando, but I don't know if I have much of anything new to add.

In the latest squat video, you seem to have fixed the head movement, and depth is better. But the whole thing still looks off and I think that's because you are still too soft in your spine. It looks to me like the hip drive (and there should be more, too) isn't transferring to the bar and you're trying to muscle it up with your arms (which I think is why your elbows drop- you're trying to press the weight up). Also, it's a bit hard to see, but I think after all that bar set-up wiggling you do, you settle in a spot that is still too high.

I am not a coach, but if I were standing there with you, I would try all sorts of things to get you to feel how soft your back is. Then I'd have you take a lot of weight off the bar and find a weight where you can get so DAMN TIGHT that ALL the hip DRAHVE gets transferred to the bar.

Press: it's a bit hard to see with the dark gloves, but your grip is too far back in your fingers. Look at Alan Thrall's bulldog grip video.

Deadlift: Main thing I see is that you're dropping your hips as you squeeze your chest up. There's lots of writing and videos out there about this, check out Alan Thrall's video about deadlift errors with Austin Baraki.

I hope I do not exhaust your patience i see what you are saying and makes all the sense is just hard to get tight like a see in the videos of chase, this time I did feel tight until the last warm up set but when i got to the work set specially on the last reps i think i start to loose in my back, Do you see an improvement on this sets? should i just take off weight and train from there? is the bar too high?

It's not so much my patience, but whether I can actually help you from here.

First thing I need from now on is an end to the black clothing. We can't see what's happening when your floor is black, you're in shade, and you're wearing all black.

From the very little I could see, there may be a bit better tightness on the way back up but not much. You're relaxing your back tightness as you drive up, and that is exactly when you need it the most.

Bar placement was better I think.

Also, I could also use a set filmed from the side if you're able to do that. Not all sets, but maybe just one of them.

I'd say, yes, take weight off until you can drive up out of the hole with a tight back, (and without pushing up with your hands) and film one of those for us.

Anyone else wants to chime in, have at it dudes.

Yep, very hard to see. If you’re able to film your sets with the camera pointed away from the light instead of towards it, that would be most ideal.

One thing I can see though, as paddle pointed out, is that you are very wiggly under the bar. You aren’t tight. Right before you descent, take a big breath, hold it and squeeze hard, really hard. It should not be comfortable. Stay tight like this throughout the movement, don’t get lose at the bottom and sink. Stay tight and come back up. You could probably cut your depth off by about an inch, which will help. So, stay tight, keep your back and core rigid.

I would also say to bring your toes in about an inch (not sure how many cm that is).

Here i go again
    took 25 kg off the bar we will see, i know my back is still not tight enough what do you think? im looking at this guys and I try to copy their technique but have a lot of work to do: YouTube I ve read the book and watch the technique videos.

Made a side video but i fucked it up since the plates are on the way i will post it anyway, Also I want to say thank u for your advices its being really encouraging since it feels like nobody squats here, anyways going to setup the rack to get better angles and ligth next one.

Good job taking a breath at the top. I actually think overall these look a little better. Much easier to see with different clothes too.

You seem like you’re having some trouble keeping the weight over the middle of your foot and getting your knees set. Each squat you do has its own little variation in each of these things. We want them looking much more uniform.

Turn your toes in 3cm from where they are in the video and slow down your descent. As you do, let your knees track over your toes. You will feel yourself want to bend over to keep the weight in the right spot. Really concentrate hard on keeping the weight over the middle of your foot. Right now you are kind of throwing yourself into the squat. Slow it down and stay tight.

Your knees will set sooner and the squat will feel much, much better if you do it right.

Got you, yes it feels like im ¨trowing myself into the squat¨ and then hoping for the best, i will remind myself those tasks for the next session, should i keep the same weigth untill i fix that?

I hope you can see better with this angles i just came to know there is better ligth from the other side.

So i pointed my toes a bit in, it feels to me like the force is transfering better to the bar but does it look like spinal flexion and should it be more in extension? idk somebody said i should use more ¨core¨ chest more up and look more up too but she never did starting strength so i dont know

Squat:

starting strength coach development program
    Also i will post press and deadlift this is my second week on LP. tweaked my back on Monday so i was kind of scare I ¨grinded¨(i dont know if thats the word) on the fourth rep at 190kg (wich is the most i have ever pull) and didn´t even try the fifth rep i think i will start adding powercleans on friday.

Also missed the last rep on the press as you can see i stopped on the way up in the last set because i felt a pain on my back but i will keep adding weigth on the press like if i did all 5.

Press:

Deadlift

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast