starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So, it took me far too long to get over my fear of being in a gym fail video. So after finally getting over that, this is what I am working with. I don't have a trainer. I just watch untaimed strength videos and try to absorb as much as I can.

Any critique would be very helpful.

YouTube

You are obviously very strong Why not buy the book and get some training from a certified SS coach?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You are obviously very strong Why not buy the book and get some training from a certified SS coach?
    This is really just a hobby for me. I had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago. I'm actually a full-time student. Computer science.

It's a little hard to say anything valuable from this video. I suggest you film a set of five instead and include your setup. It looks pretty good, but one thing I would comment on is don't exhale at the top. Wait until you've put it down. You can lose a lot of trunk stability standing there still weighed down by the load (although I know the temptation is hard to resist especially when doing heavy singles like this one).

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus Bengtsen View Post
    It's a little hard to say anything valuable from this video. I suggest you film a set of five instead and include your setup. It looks pretty good, but one thing I would comment on is don't exhale at the top. Wait until you've put it down. You can lose a lot of trunk stability standing there still weighed down by the load (although I know the temptation is hard to resist especially when doing heavy singles like this one).
    I'm deadlifting again tomorrow morning. I'll get a better video. Is it dangerous to take a second breath at the top after exhaling instead of one breath up and down?

As Rasmus said, breathing makes a person loosen up. You don't need that breath at the top, especially if you get a bigger bottom breath and if you set the weight down faster (which you should).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    As Rasmus said, breathing makes a person loosen up. You don't need that breath at the top, especially if you get a bigger bottom breath and if you set the weight down faster (which you should).
    For clarification, is my lockout too long? Or is my actual eccentric movement too deliberate?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Galioto View Post
    I'm deadlifting again tomorrow morning. I'll get a better video. Is it dangerous to take a second breath at the top after exhaling instead of one breath up and down?
    You can loose your tightness and that is the mother of "tweaks". As weights get heavier and heavier, it becomes more and more important to stay tight all the way through the movement, this is especially the case when you do more than 1 rep and fatigue becomes an issue as well. I therefore suggest that you get used to only one breath at the bottom, hold it all the way up and all the way down before you let it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Galioto View Post
    For clarification, is my lockout too long? Or is my actual eccentric movement too deliberate?
    The eccentric movement could be faster. I can't tell for sure, but it seems you are guiding the bar around your knees on the way down? This will be an issue when putting down the weight faster (hitting the knee on the way down). This is also an issue when you do sets or more than 1 rep, as it will place the bar ahead of midfoot (which is why I suggest you upload a clip of a set of 5). When setting the bar down, bend over first at the hip and bend the knees once the bar has passed them.

To be sure, this clip won't end up in a fail compilation. You seem you have a very solid setup, your back is good and this weight doesn't seem like it very challenging for you.