starting strength gym

Thread: Hip Drive Check

Default Hip Drive Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Been told I needed to work on back extension and setting your back. So I’ve been working on that. Espically feeling the low back muscles and having a “Superman chest”

Last set and it was pretty tough. My elbows don’t twitch like that normally.

Would you consider the last rep a goodmorning?

Dr Baraki talks about “if your back angle stays the same or have a slightly more horizontal back angle, your probably using your hips right”
    But how much is to much horizontal back angle to be considered a “goodmorning”

YouTube

Thanks !

You seem to be doing a good job at setting your low back in extension.

Yes your last rep looks like a squat-morning. You are driving your hips up out of the hole (good) but your chest is staying where it is (bad) and you're bending over a little too much. The bar moves forward of the balance point over the mid foot and the rep turns into a grinder. The torso should move up as a single rigid component.
    Focus on driving your hips up and keeping the bar over the middle of the foot. If you do this correctly your body will assume the correct back angle for the squat.
    You elbows were twitching because you relaxed your upper back muscles when you were straining to stand up. Get tight, stay tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor Walsh View Post
    You seem to be doing a good job at setting your low back in extension.

Yes your last rep looks like a squat-morning. You are driving your hips up out of the hole (good) but your chest is staying where it is (bad) and you're bending over a little too much. The bar moves forward of the balance point over the mid foot and the rep turns into a grinder. The torso should move up as a single rigid component.
    Focus on driving your hips up and keeping the bar over the middle of the foot. If you do this correctly your body will assume the correct back angle for the squat.
    You elbows were twitching because you relaxed your upper back muscles when you were straining to stand up. Get tight, stay tight.
    I agree with connor, this is just my experience but knee sleeves let me forget about my knees and allow me to concentrate on hip drive. people say they don't add weight but damn they help me.