starting strength gym

Thread: Caught behind monolift while squatting

Default Caught behind monolift while squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So yesterday, was doing my 3x5 squats and on my last set, somehow the bar got caught behind the monolift (I must have moved forward and got behind it). Got jammed in there and the bar wouldn’t move on the right. Started to panic as I was alone in my basement in my rack working out. Then the bar moved a little on the right such that the weights fell off and I had 2 45lb weight on the left. Tried to balance that shit as long as possible but had no choice but to drop them off and of course one bounced and has put a nice dent in the drywall.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? I’ve been squatting for several months in this rack and has never happened. Now I’m questioning whether a monolift is worth it and if I should just use j hooks. I was panicking a bit when the bar was wedged and wouldn’t move with heavy weight on my back and only so long that I could sustain it.

I've missed getting the bar on the hooks once; left side banged the front of the hook and I thought it was on. Shit happens.

I haven't used monolifts but I've heard several SSCs and other powerlifters say this kind of thing happens. It's why they usually train using normal hooks.

Glad you posted this. I was looking at the monolift system. I will stop now.

A monolift is completely unnecessary for most people anyway. For training by yourself, a Rogue R3 with the pin pipe safeties is the way to go.