starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Form check on 4th week and missed rep question

Default Form check on 4th week and missed rep question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey folks. I got some great advice on here when I started a few weeks ago. I am at the point now where the weight on the Squat and DL is getting pretty heavy and I'm really grinding out the last two reps. I also feel like my squat form is slipping but I'd appreciate it if I could get a second, or better, a third set of eyes on it. The links are below.

Also, on my 5th rep of my DL work set the damn bar slipped out of my hand as you can see in the video. Does that count as a missed rep in the sense that I should not add more weight next session?

Squat 215: YouTube
    Squat 225: YouTube

Deadlift 255: YouTube
    Deadlift 270: YouTube

There are couple of problems with your squat:
    1. You're too upright. You have a back angle of someone who's high bar squatting.
    2. Your stance seems too wide to me
    3. In the very bottom position you let yourself drop on the hole, which causes your knees to slide forward and also decreases your back angle even more. It also looks like you stop pushing your knees out in the bottom position, so your knees come in a bit.
    4. The bar placement looks really high to me.

Not a SSC

Oh, and also when it gets hard you started leading with your chest instead of trying to drive up your butt.

Quote Originally Posted by niwegeri View Post
    There are couple of problems with your squat:
    1. You're too upright. You have a back angle of someone who's high bar squatting.
    2. Your stance seems too wide to me
    3. In the very bottom position you let yourself drop on the hole, which causes your knees to slide forward and also decreases your back angle even more. It also looks like you stop pushing your knees out in the bottom position, so your knees come in a bit.
    4. The bar placement looks really high to me.

Not a SSC
    Thanks bud. What does it mean to drop in the whole? Also, do you have any advice regarding my deadlift question in the original post?

Quote Originally Posted by dfmmalaw View Post
    Thanks bud. What does it mean to drop in the whole? Also, do you have any advice regarding my deadlift question in the original post?
    I think he means that you're not squatting in the normal position; instead, you're just kind of plummeting into the bottom and then trying to assume the proper squat position as you come out of the bottom.

Your back angle actually isn't terrible coming up out of the hole (though it could be more horizontal); the issue is getting into the bottom position correctly. Instead of starting your rep by trying to drop down, focus on pushing your knees out and your hips back, pointing your nipples at the floor. You'll probably need to slow down a little bit, too.

You're doing a nice job of driving your hips up, considering your starting position. Getting your descent under control and with the right back angle will help a ton.

For the deadlift, your weights were flying up for the other reps, so that weight's just fine. Just make sure you're using plenty of chalk. Grip strength, even double-overhand, shouldn't be a limiting factor at that weight, but sweaty hands will definitely lose the bar. I mean, your bar speed's crazy good there. You could probably add ten pounds to the bar for a few workouts. Just make sure you've got plenty of chalk.

ETA: he's also right about your bar placement; it looks a tad high. Jam it down below the spine of the scapulae. It's uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins View Post
    I think he means that you're not squatting in the normal position; instead, you're just kind of plummeting into the bottom and then trying to assume the proper squat position as you come out of the bottom.

Your back angle actually isn't terrible coming up out of the hole (though it could be more horizontal); the issue is getting into the bottom position correctly. Instead of starting your rep by trying to drop down, focus on pushing your knees out and your hips back, pointing your nipples at the floor. You'll probably need to slow down a little bit, too.

You're doing a nice job of driving your hips up, considering your starting position. Getting your descent under control and with the right back angle will help a ton.

For the deadlift, your weights were flying up for the other reps, so that weight's just fine. Just make sure you're using plenty of chalk. Grip strength, even double-overhand, shouldn't be a limiting factor at that weight, but sweaty hands will definitely lose the bar. I mean, your bar speed's crazy good there. You could probably add ten pounds to the bar for a few workouts. Just make sure you've got plenty of chalk.

ETA: he's also right about your bar placement; it looks a tad high. Jam it down below the spine of the scapulae. It's uncomfortable.
    Aha! Makes perfect sense. I'll slow my descent, get horizontal with knees out and hips back, and make sure I'm in the right position for the hip drive ascent. I'll also get the bar positioned further down. Awesome advice and I'll definitely jump 10 pounds on the deadlift and start using chalk. I'd really like to hit 300 on the deadlift over the next 3 workouts if possible, and 10 pound jumps will allow that. Since I only weigh 156 it will be almost 2x bodyweight and what I believe is a good starting point. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Aha! Makes perfect sense. I'll slow my descent, get horizontal with knees out and hips back, and make sure I'm in the right position for the hip drive ascent. I'll also get the bar positioned further down. Awesome advice and I'll definitely jump 10 pounds on the deadlift and start using chalk. I'd really like to hit 300 on the deadlift over the next 3 workouts if possible, and 10 pound jumps will allow that. Since I only weigh 156 it will be almost 2x bodyweight and what I believe is a good starting point. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    That would be a good deadlift.

Don't just lock in 10 pound jumps, though. Video your sets and watch your bar speed. If it's still flying up like in that video, go ahead, but if it slows down and gets grindy, drop to 5. Better to get to 300 slowly than stall too early and have to do a reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins View Post
    That would be a good deadlift.

Don't just lock in 10 pound jumps, though. Video your sets and watch your bar speed. If it's still flying up like in that video, go ahead, but if it slows down and gets grindy, drop to 5. Better to get to 300 slowly than stall too early and have to do a reset.
    Great advice that I'll be taking into my next session. Thanks Charles. It was very helpful.

I took the advice given above and these are my squat and deadlift videos from my last session on Tuesday. Would love to hear any feedback you may have.

Squat set 1 (230): YouTube
    Squat set 2 (230): YouTube
    Squat set 3 (230): YouTube
    Deadlift set (280): YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    I took the advice given above and these are my squat and deadlift videos from my last session on Tuesday. Would love to hear any feedback you may have.

Squat set 1 (230): YouTube
    Squat set 2 (230): YouTube
    Squat set 3 (230): YouTube
    Deadlift set (280): YouTube
    Bar speed is still great on those deads, but you look kind of out of control. Could be you're rushing because you don't trust your grip. Go ahead and switch to a mixed grip. Get your feet closer together, get tighter, and don't lean so far back at the top. Stay under control.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast