starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift check

Default Squat and Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey, I'll preface by saying thanks for the time and input that you can offer me.

I started experiencing lower back soreness and overall shit form when squatting/pulling 235lbs, 106kg; thus, I reset to get my shit straight.

Before resetting, I was clearly cheating depth on my squats, and was feeling tightness/soreness right where one would cue for hip drive(Low back/tailbone). I read Bill Hannon's article about thoracic extension, and assume the lack of tightness was contributing to my soreness. I still need to work on this, but think that I tend to loosen myself up after racking; I also have issues tightening my low back/lats in general.

Does it look like my elbows are too high? I've had slight elbow soreness last week, and suspect that I'm lifting my elbows in an attempt to tighten my back, rather than engaging the shoulders fully.

I have had trouble with lower back rounding during my dead lifts for most of my time on the program (only ~1 month consistently), which I assume is due to weak back muscles. I've been working on cueing my chest up, but this set still looks sloppy.

This is me squatting 210lbs, 95 kg:
    20180416_154453.mp4 - Google Drive

This is me pulling 205: 92kg:
    20180416_165508.mp4 - Google Drive

I appreciate any input you guys can give.
    I know I've still got a lot of work to do.

Thanks for reading

Hello. Think you have enough going on that you may benefit from in person coaching. I say this as someone that needed it myself - they drill it into you and help with cues you can use to reestablish form if you get off in the future.

Squat: 1) You're staying too vertical for too long; instead, bend at the hips and knees simultaneously. 2) Cue yourself to sit back! 3) You are not going nearly deep enough; target the crease of your hip going below your knee.

Deadlift: 1) Hard to tell but looks like you could be setting up too close to the bar - note that your shin angle doesn't change much. 2) Looks like you're not setting your back hard enough - after you grab the bar, squeeze your chest up, like you want to show whatever is on your shirt to the wall. It is crazy uncomfortable and supposed to be.

Squats
    Not remotely close to depth.

Deadlift
    You're not remotely close to having your back set.

Reread the relevant book sections and watch the instructional videos.

Hey folks-

Appreciate the input, I took my prescribed medicine of re-watching the videos and got back after it today.

Squats
    20180418_161130.mp4 - Google Drive

Deads
    20180418_171738.mp4 - Google Drive

My squats felt pretty solid, definitely noticed that I was going deeper on these sets, tried to get those nipples pointed toward the floor as soon as possible.

My deads still look pretty sloppy, especially my first rep, I can tell that I was rounding on that one. Though I thought the sets after that looked less shitty.

I'll leave the call to you guys.

Thanks again for the feedback

Both of those sets are still a total mess.
    Squats: too high, too slow, no bounce + hip drive, you're leaning onto your toes, wrists are bent gripping the bar...
    Deadlifts: Back is not set in rigid extension, and you're lowering the bar like it's a stiff legged deadlift.

You need to de-load by a considerable amount and start the program again. No one likes to take weight off the bar but you have to if you want to perform the movements correctly. If you don't, you'll always revert to your old habits when the weight gets heavy. Re-read the book, and refer to these videos: YouTube YouTube

Yep. The main issues I see with your squat is your depth and you get on your toes. You’re going to have to think about 2 things - squatting deeper than you think you need to and staying over the middle of your foot. When you think you’re deep enough, keep shoving your knees out and keep descending. It’ll feel like you’re squatting too deep, but you won’t be. While you do that, keep the weight over the middle of your foot at all costs. You will probably have to take some weight off the bar and practice your descent. Feel where the weight is throughout the movement. Not on your toes or your heels, but right over the center of the foot.

On your deadlifts, you need to contract your back, hard. Lift your chest and squeeze nice and hard, harder than you think. It should not be comfortable. When you set the weight down, speed it up. Don’t make the eccentric part of the lift any slower than it needs to be. The bar and plates are solid metal, they can handle it.

Eventually, for both lifts, you’ll want to increase your speed overall. That comes with confidence.

Honestly I would look into getting proper lifting shoes. They’ll really help you clear this stuff up.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey guys-

I'm looking for more feedback, I've been unable to find any lifting shoes for sale on craigslist or any of the bargain shops, so I may have to shell out and get a new pair.
    Till then, I tried out squatting with my heels on some plates, it certainly seemed like I was hitting more depth than usual.

Still seems like on my deads that I'm still managing to make the descent slower than it needs to be; I noticed that I have a tendency for the bar to hit my knees, i.e I"m breaking at my knees early.

Squat:

20180425_155050.mp4 - Google Drive

Deadlift:

20180425_170021.mp4 - Google Drive

Thank you for the help