starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check for a friend - 6'5 pulling 67kg here

Default Deadlift form check for a friend - 6'5 pulling 67kg here

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I'm helping a friend in my home country with his form on the lifts. I'm a little stuck on how to cue him to set his back really hard to get his low back straight, and keep it straight. I'd appreciate some input from you guys.

Male, 6'5, weighs I think 107kg, 235lbs'ish.

His setup:
    Stance closer, toes out more, push the knees out.

What I see:
    He still seems to not be aggressive with setting his back.
    He seems a bit too forward, maybe rock back a little
    Slight bend in the knees on the way back down before hips are properly closed
    His low back rounds a bit about 3/4 of the way down.

Possible cues:
    Push the knees out more, maybe point toes out more, to get the trunk sinking lower so he can set his back more?
    Widen the grip to make room for the knees that are pushed out?

Thanks guys, I'm running out of ideas here.

correction on the thread title. He's pulling 77kg.

To be honest, it looks like he's just not trying hard enough to pull his chest up first. Narrowing the stance may help.

I'll be that guy and go heretic; i would consider letting him drop his hips an inch or even two.
    His back is basically horizontal, and squeezing it flat from that position is very hard. If you are a novice, it's probably even harder.
    I would also politely disagree with Jeff above, and say a wider stance might be better; it will create more space between the legs, which is where the belly wants to go if you set your lower back hard.

IPB

I also looks like his shoulders too much in front of the bar. I think his knees should be a bit more forward. That will also help with setting the low back in extension. Btw, can he voluntarily set his low back in extension or not? Of not, this could be helpful YouTube

Good luck

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

First thing we'll try(already sent the tips to him to try, different time zone so i'll adjust the rest of the tips here if it doesn't work) is to rock a bit backwards to get the shoulders a bit back, then with the narrow stance point his toes out a bit more. Dropping his hips slightly and if the bar is not in contact with the shins to "think" about pulling "back". This has worked for me in the past.

If this doesn't work according to the new video then we'll try the next cues give here. thanks again for your help.