starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys I feel like I'm having a harder time keeping my upper back flat when the weight gets heavier. Thank s for the help!

YouTube

Are these supposed to be block pulls since tge weight is in those wedge things?

Narrow your stance. Be careful about shooting your hips up - that can make it harder to get your hips set which can lead to back extension stuff.

Deadlifts aren’t easy and keeping your back flat isn’t easy. You’re not spending enough time at the bottom of the lift getting tight before pulling which is part of the issue. You need to engage the lats and set the upper back before the pull. You need to engage/get tight and then start the leg drive/pull. You’re doing both at the same time right now

Ok thanks. I'll try that. The wedge things are deadlift deadners. It's to keep the noise down a bit. I work out at 430am in my home gym.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985 View Post
    Ok thanks. I'll try that. The wedge things are deadlift deadners. It's to keep the noise down a bit. I work out at 430am in my home gym.
    Do they elevate the bar? If so, you might want to try putting some plywood or something to stand on.

Yah about 1 inch. I haven't been too worried about it. I have no ambitions to be a competetive powerlifter. Just trying to get in better shape. Is the one inch going to make that big of a difference??

YouTube

Here is one of my warm ups 315. I feel like my back is set better? Thanks

It is set a bit better. You are lifting the weight off the ground like it’s 135 when you set your back and doing paused DL. I know this is super light weight for you so just try and do the same thing when it gets to the work set(s).

Ok . So with the heavier weight I set my back the same however the bar doesn't leave the ground. ...So a bit of upper back rounding is safe? I still see "wrinkles " in my shirt. Just want to avoid injuries . Thanks for the help

starting strength coach development program
    Well I mean I want you to have a tighter back but if that's as tight as you're getting right now then it's probably fine and you need to continue to work on maintaining tightness throughout the set. It's pretty easy to rush the last couple reps and round the upper back. Lots of really good lifters who lift heavy have a slightly rounded upper back but this isn't a competition so do your best to stay rigid. It isn't easy or fun so just deal with it being hard at the bottom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast