starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Weight: ~210

Here I am getting wrecked by 320lbs. My biggest issue I have been working on is my knees pushing out at the bottom, which I think is pretty apparent here. Anything else bad?

YouTube

Yesterday I did my light day for skill practice @ 275. I feel like I am making progress on the "knee slide" at the bottom, but still am not getting my knees out far enough in the beginning. Correct? Any other observations?

YouTube

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by senordinosaurio View Post
    Weight: ~210

Here I am getting wrecked by 320lbs. My biggest issue I have been working on is my knees pushing out at the bottom, which I think is pretty apparent here. Anything else bad?

YouTube

Yesterday I did my light day for skill practice @ 275. I feel like I am making progress on the "knee slide" at the bottom, but still am not getting my knees out far enough in the beginning. Correct? Any other observations?

YouTube

Thanks
    Just watched the first one. Nothing looks egregious to me, though the beginning of your descent looks a bit violent and you could certainly control the knee slide a little better. Get those knees to their proper place early then keep them there.

Sometimes, the reason a heavy squat wrecks you is not that you did something wrong, but rather simply because it is a heavy squat.

Get rid of that rocking onto your toes thing you do. Also that instantaneous tightening, or violence before you descend, as Charles said in his post.

You're holding your knees back for most of the movement, and then, OOPS!, popping them forward at the bottom of the descent. As noted, you have to get your knees in their place earlier in the movement. I think back angle is probably OK, but I can't tell for sure if your stance is wide enough. Also, I'd bet money you're not getting your knees out. But the video angle in both cases is too flat to the side to tell.