starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys,

thought I post my working sets here also.
    I'm 1.80mtr / 113kg
    started with 5x5 and switched to starting strength after reading a lot of posts, watching video's and ordering the book.

Any comments on these:
    set 1: YouTube
    set 2: YouTube
    set 3: YouTube

What I think after watching and reading some reviews:
    - my knees go forward when I'm at the bottom, which makes me "fall" forward a bit
    - I think my depth is good
    - I really don't know if I can get any more horizontal (bend over) without losing my balance? or is this connected to the knee from pointer 1

Lower the hooks in the rack by one notch. Put the bar lower on your back by the bar's diameter. Lock your knees at the top. Get a whole lot tighter. Use a tubow for awhile to help dial in your knee tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Lower the hooks in the rack by one notch. Put the bar lower on your back by the bar's diameter. Lock your knees at the top. Get a whole lot tighter. Use a tubow for awhile to help dial in your knee tracking.
    Training of this morning: YouTube

So!
    What I worked on:
    - lower the hooks one notch, and putting the bar below the spine of the scapula (I've searched for picture of the human anatomy to learn what the scapula is).
    - I've set my feet apart 1 inch more and maybe a bit wider? but that wider I think is not a problem.
    - My warming up sets were not proper depth, but these are
    - What I do notice: my knees still go forward while I'm dropping. I've read several other check where the tip is to stop letting the knees go forward when your below. I'm not sure if that is an issue with me here.
    I did try working with a foamroller as a tubow and that helped a bit, but placing it on the correct spot before stepping out of the rack is really hard.
    - I think I have to have my back a lot more rigid. Hope the belt I ordered will have some help in that as I then have something to push my abs into.
    - Arm, wrists are good, nothing there
    - And a tip I got was to step out, NOT wait 10 seconds just inhale and squat. So in my opinion the speed is good.

Ongoing

Today's training 82.5kg.
    I swear I did all the same things above, this time wearing a belt. I really think it helped me, but somehow today I don't think I really got proper depth.

So help, feedback is truly appreciated.

These are all high. By about 3 inches. We might need to see a video of your knees and feet from behind. I have a suspicion that either your stance is too wide or your feet are turned out too far. Your knees aren't sliding a lot which is good, but if you have a wide stance or have your toes turned out too far, you might not be able to reach proper depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    These are all high. By about 3 inches. We might need to see a video of your knees and feet from behind. I have a suspicion that either your stance is too wide or your feet are turned out too far. Your knees aren't sliding a lot which is good, but if you have a wide stance or have your toes turned out too far, you might not be able to reach proper depth.
    It's because of the left knee. Sort of arthritis in it. Recovery time 4 to 6 weeks. Talked with physio therapist about it. He said to keep training unless the pain was too much.

I've decided to do these 82,5 again tomorrow. As I've failed them all by not getting depth. And I know depth was not a problem before.

Thanks for watching.

So after failing all sets last Wednesday (all too high) I've tried 82,5kg again. My warning up didn't go well either. My knee keeps hurting when I want them to go further a bit more.

But let me know what you think.

Set 1 YouTube
    Set 2 YouTube
    Set 3 YouTube
    Set 4 YouTube (I didn't like set 3 so tried it again)

How can I improve my technique more?
    I think I'm just barely on depth. Perhaps a bit lower would be better, but my knee will not permit it at this point.

Hi guys, I've tried again. Upped it up 85kg.

Set 3 YouTube

Let me know what you think.

I'd say you need to drop the weigth until you learn the movement. I'd say start with 50 kg or less. Try some bodyweight wall-squats to get a feel of knees-vs-hips in the descent. Right now you are only squatting on your knees.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been watching my technique over and over again.
    I don't think I got depth, missing about 3 cm or so
    My elbows are shit. Should be closer and way tighter to my body

I still think the left knee is the trouble maker here. It doesn't hurt as much as before, but still is somehow blocking me. I'm not sure if deloading would fix things other then it would be a lighter weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast