starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check--especially concerned with back angle and chest position

Default Squat check--especially concerned with back angle and chest position

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm finally able to get the bar down on my rear delts, so it's time to squat low bar. I'm a long-torso guy, so I'm having a hard time getting horizontal while keeping my chest up. This was my fourth set this morning, and 90% of my attention went into my back and chest; consequently I didn't push my knees out enough, but that isn't usually a problem for me. So any thoughts on how I can improve my back angle? Rip has also said (and written) that different cues are necessary for people with long torsos relative to femur length. Do I fall into that category? I'm 5'10 with a 29 3/4 inseam.

YouTube

And fwiw, I've just read the Hannon article. Good information. Maybe someone can help me understand how to apply it to my squat.

Your stance is too wide by about a foot's width. Bring your feet closer together at the heels and turn your toes out more. Stop looking in the mirror. It looks from this angle like the bar should be a little further down your back (about it's diameter lower). You may have have to widen your grip initially to get it there and keep your wrists neutral. When you initiate the descent, bend over from the hips right away and keep your hips back as much as possible.

Cool. Will do.