starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck with squat: technique or something else?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    BBB do you think its unnecessary to fail for a novice to truly grasp RPE? And isn't everyday technically a test day for a novice?

Today I did a form check again, and my balance problem also occurs with a lower bar. I think it is just because the weight is too heavy and I am trying to 'jump' out of the squat somehow. I will decrease the weight, and move to a program with a higher volume.

Meaning, whatever work you do, make sure you always have at least another rep in reserve.
    That is generally how I try to train. Despite safety bars, spotters, etc: I don't want to get hurt and damage the gym's fantastic stuff...

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Rule #2: Increase volume.
    I agree with this in general, though I don’t think arbitrary volume should be added to the novice LP. I strongly suggest from personal experience and what little knowledge I have for the gentleman to find a program that includes this increase in volume already instead of trying to figure it out himself.

You did say though to look in the program forum which has this material so I don’t mean to take your quote out of context. I’m sure you agree with me already.

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurR View Post
    Today I did a form check again, and my balance problem also occurs with a lower bar. I think it is just because the weight is too heavy and I am trying to 'jump' out of the squat somehow. I will decrease the weight, and move to a program with a higher volume.

Meaning, whatever work you do, make sure you always have at least another rep in reserve.
    That is generally how I try to train. Despite safety bars, spotters, etc: I don't want to get hurt and damage the gym's fantastic stuff...

Thanks guys.
    What’s happening is that your back is assuming the correct angle out of the hole instead of before you reach it. If you are able to assume that position as you descend, I think your squats will feel a lot better. A popular cue around here is “point your nipples at the floor”. You won’t be able to do this before you descend like you’ve been trying to do however.

What's the point of practicing bailing?
    Just a suggestion if the OP is nervous about falling over due to perceived balance issues. Helped me, as explained in my post.

if you want to get strong... never fail.
    Brilliant advice. Occasional failure is a part of strength training. How else does a novice know when his LP is over? How does any strength trainee gauge if their level of recovery is appropriate?

Better to know how to do it safely than to be overly confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn1993 View Post
    BBB do you think its unnecessary to fail for a novice to truly grasp RPE? And isn't everyday technically a test day for a novice?
    Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    I agree with this in general, though I don’t think arbitrary volume should be added to the novice LP.
    Quote Originally Posted by evs0716 View Post
    Brilliant advice. Occasional failure is a part of strength training. How else does a novice know when his LP is over? How does any strength trainee gauge if their level of recovery is appropriate?
    OP was talking about TM and asking about intermediate programming. So the advice was for a post novice LP. I'm sure he'll find a program suitable for him. This isn't the correct forum for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurR View Post

Thanks guys.
    Don't worry about damaging equipment. The spotters are there for your safety.

Oh okay that makes more sense to me BBB!

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn1993 View Post
    Oh okay that makes more sense to me BBB!
    Check out my squat fails a few months ago. The equipment doesn't budge

starting strength coach development program
    You are not doing what we call a the squat. Mainly because of the bar position. see here ---->>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0<-------- do some shoulder dislocations with a dowel and start working your way in from a wider grip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12