starting strength gym

Thread: Back & Front Squat Form Check/Help

Default Back & Front Squat Form Check/Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For my back squat, I realize that my start position is a bit weird - ideally I should be standing up straighter. Some questions:

1) Is my torso angle too acute?
    2) How's my hip drive? In the past I have tried to really emphasize driving my hips/ass up and initiating the ascent with my hips, but it looked horrible and was overly exaggerated to the point where it felt unnatural and uncomfortable.

Back Squat:

For my front squat, I seem to lean forward at the bottom of the lift. This is a common problem I know, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I think it's due to having an underdeveloped core, but maybe it's a mobility issue? In your personal experience, what helped your front squat form?

This issue still occurs even if I drop the weight. Here's the lift 30lbs lighter:

I apologize that the videos are vertical and that they're from sub-optimal angles. I don't have much room in my garage or anyone to record me, so this is the best I got. What I can say is that my stance width for both lifts is comparable to that of Alan Thrall's (proportionally, of course) during his back squat:

Screenshot_2.jpg

What shoes are you wearing? For the front squat I'd say get your knees a lot further forward, for the back squat it looks like your knees should be shoved out more, although it's difficult/impossible to tell from this angle. Back squat doesn't seem to bad at all though, keep training and it'll become more fluent.

Next time record so we can see your feet as well.

However, even without seeing your feet, I can tell you that you need to bring your knees forward more (in the back squat) or at least NOT push them back at the bottom. Most of the downward portion is good but as you start breaking parallel for some reason you shoot your hips/knees backwards. You can get away with it right now because the weight is relatively low. I wouldn't worry about hip-drive at this point or how acute the angle of your back is.

Your front squat is actually much better than your back squat. Work on that back squat.