starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift Form Check - pre and post set up tweak

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    one more thing, video angel, 3 o'clock, shoulder height if possible.cant really see much here.

Ah yeah good point! Its always the way that you focus on one thing and another thing falls out. I'll be thinking chest up hips up and oranges in the armpits tomorrow. I guess this is the difficultly of not having a coach there to give the cues in the moment.

Yeah I'll play around with stance, at the moment its feels pretty good atm but I guess that could change at the weight moves up again.

That's what I was thinking, I'll pull 80kg tomorrow. But the one thing I'm not sure about is at what point to reduce the volume at the higher weights, and actually complete them as warm up sets. I could go 60-70-80 tomorrow and see how that turns out.

Haha don't apologise. I'm a little hesitant to powerclean but with the help I'm getting from you guys here is changing my mind a little. I was thinking I've move onto rows just so its less technical but we'll see. I'll probably run this week out only deadlifting and then change the weds session for powerclean, I'm squatting 140kg now and want deadlift to catch up again.

Yep bright and early! I actually have been getting straight up and working out. So on Monday I tried out Jordan Feigenbaum's rehydration solution recipe from the forum and I actually felt a lot better from the deads, I have been thinking is there anything else I can do though. And yeah not quite as far a ears ringing but my vision sure does close in.

Copy that on the video angle, I was keeping it there to check my back but can probably bring it around now.

Cheers again for the pointers.

hey most of us don't have a coach, don't beat your head on the wall about it. I usually watch my videos right after my set to get a feedback while I rest, try to play coach and athlete. Warm body, cold mind and all that.
    regarding your programming, can you give us some more info on your age, height, weight, real life stress level so we don't give wrong advises? from the video you look like early to mid 30 to me? not really good at guessing age. But in general, i'd say power development is a good thing, for all your other lifts. Take me for example, asain male 26 yo, simillar body type to yours, numbers on LP little behind yours. Prior to switching to powerclean, my other lifts felt heavy and grindy af, especially on press, and I thought I had 2 weeks of NLP in me. but after a couple of powerclean session, the barspeed on my press improved quite a bit without major technique improvement. same goes for squat, doesn't feel as heavy as before.
    Also, how's your currently DL entire session look like? today your dl is 60x1x5, 70x1x5, 80x1x5, right? I'd do 2 sets of 60. going up I'd use 60 as my baseline for my first two warmups, 25%jumpx5, 50%jumpx3, 75%jumpx2, workset, per SS. In my experience the warmups will really get you, lack of conditioning, dehydration, slow descent all factors, but just take a longer rest between rest until your morning schedule prohibits and see how it goes.

Slightly delayed response. Sorry.

Sure, I'm 27 (the receding hair line is deceptive), 178cm height, 118kg bw. I have a fairly intense job working in motorsport, work weekends regularly, but it is a desk job.

Noted on the powercleans, i'll add them in next week. So I actually did 60x1x5 the 80x2x5 but tomorrow I'll maybe ramp it more.

Vids from Wednesday, the two 80kg sets (YouTube & YouTube)

And Squat for good measure @ 142.5kg which I accidently did 6 reps on... (YouTube)

squat rep 5 on the way up, you felt the HIP DRAIVE, right?
    your squat isn't that terrible except you are a little, just a litte bit above parallel. video a air squat and over correct it, by that I mean try ass to grass, forget about spinal flexion, hamstring stretch reflex, all that good stuff, just squat down like a slav and remain balance on midfoot, see if you can do that. if not, take a wider stance, toes out knees out some more. when your hip crease is WELL below parallel, tighten low back, fire hamstring, and opa, comrade, you are in the correct positon. Sure WL shoes with heel with help with that, but you should get more flexibility than you need, like money.
    I just finished workout today and tweaked my own DL, changed it to Ed Coan sumo deadlift. basically it's a narrow sumo DL with the shin angel less than vertical views from front, heel right behind hand. How I do it is, I approch bar, standing, tighten my lowback, reach down( upperback rounded ok at this point) take grip at shoulder width. If you can't reach the bar, your stance widen a little bit, reach down again, until you can grip the bar. during the whole process, the low bar is in neutural extension and tight, if you are not that flexible of a person, which from previous video, we can assume you aren't, try to cue hyperextension. when you have gripped the bar, most likely your foot is outside your shoulder, that's ok. remember the stance. now leave the bar and reset your foot in that stance with the barbell over midfoot. when you are standing, tighten and extend your low back, and reach down, grip it, your shin will touch but not move the barbell, tighten upper back, look at 12 feet on the ground above you, drag. basically conventional setup but foot outside shoulder. diffenrent from standard sumo, that's a couple of inchs between heel and hand. The reason I do this is to apply most of the 3 criterias to the modification, because my gut, and probably yours, prevents you from doing it properly. so that's a compromise we have to make, but we're not sumo for sumo's sake, so all is good.
    Oops, I'm sorry, must be the terrible lighting and the 4:30 no noise atmosphere. people guess my age wrong all the time, the most outrageous one incident is, when I was in middle school, I was going to a Mathmatic Olympic meet, and was wearing a blazer(weird fashion choice for a 14 year old). the security at the meet stopped me and said: only students, no parents. lol
    that's it for now, looking forward for the progress.

Warming up with the bar this morning I made sure to sink deep into the hole a few times and hold it there. It seemed to help, I'm not going to upload a video as its much the same but pausing at the bottom I can see I'm just below or at parallel so step forward.

As for deads, I've made a jump up to 100kg felt alright too, warming up I took a slightly wider stance and it feels like my knees are more perpendicular to the bar closing my internal hip angle. So for a 80kg warm up took a more narrow stance than felt "right" and immediately could feel I was in a better position as I braced for the pull. Continued that for the 100kg set, I'm getting more confident that I'm in position so despite it being more weight its probably the quickest set I've done for a while. I'd say rep 3 I lose concentration trying to get set too quickly and its probably the worst deviation from form, and then the final rep is a bit meh. But I'm not losing extension like I was.

YouTube

No worries, I'm not someone whos sensitive about age, and yeah its a bit quiet for my likely I normally crank on some pantera or something but it being so early doesn't permit that. Ha I mean that is pretty out there for a 14yo, but props for going your own way.

Squats got a little good morningy now with 147.5kg, felt like that taxed my lower back a little but I think I still head it together for 110kg deadlift.

Need to have a look though for cues to counter the good morningyness.

Squat - YouTube
    Deadlift - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Got up to 120kg today and it looks to me like I'm starting to lose my rigidity. Although it's perhaps not my lower back that's giving out now...

YouTube

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123