starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check 92.5kg

Default Squat Check 92.5kg

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,

Been on Andy's GGW program for 5 weeks and have just started getting near my 5rm of 100kg on LP. The weights are starting to feel a bit heavier so I think I need a form check before they go up even more.

I've recently narrowed my stance a little and this seems to have helped with knee cave. Any thoughts, opinions, criticism would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

there is a noticeable tilt of the bar at the bottom, with the right end dropping much lower than the left. I suppose there might also be a little twist, that's usually how a tilt develops.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Your grip is quite odd. You appear to have the right elbow up higher than the left. Maybe it’s the camera angle but it stood out to me. You appear to have a shoulder flexibility problem given that your thumbs are around the bar. If that’s not true then get your thumbs on top and not around the bar.

In any case, the imbalance in elbow height is probably why you caved towards the right side at the end of the set. The bar was probably rolling up on your back.

Keep your elbows down and back, not up high. This is facilitated by thumbs being on top of the bar.

Thanks guys. You pointed out a few things I need to sort out. I had a feeling the right side of the bar was lower at the bottom and the videos confirmed it. There's also some twist as well, with the left side more to the front.

I'll try and get my elbows down and equally high. Not sure about going back to the thumbs on top just yet - I changed a couple of months ago as I was getting bad pain in my upper arms, and when I switched it went away.

Could the twist/imbalance be the result of a weaker, and possibly, shorter right leg? Not sure if it's shorter, I've never had it measured but I know my hips are a little out of alignment, and my right quad is bit weaker than my left so I tend to favor my left side when weight gets heavy. I'm trying to keep it even and get my right leg doing its fair share of the work but don't know if it's working.