starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is lower back stiffness/soreness EVER normal after deadlifting heavy??

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    * Jun 7 72.5kg for 3x8 bench press

can't even type today lol sorry

You probably just detrained. Reset to using weights that are challenging but not a grind and work your way back up again. You'll probably find that you can take bigger jumps to work your way back to where you were e.g. you can probably take 10 lb jumps if you were using 5 lb jumps before.

Quote Originally Posted by KangaJoo View Post
    You probably just detrained. Reset to using weights that are challenging but not a grind and work your way back up again. You'll probably find that you can take bigger jumps to work your way back to where you were e.g. you can probably take 10 lb jumps if you were using 5 lb jumps before.
    I detrained in less than a week???

My concern is that a 115kg squat is a 10% reset for me & still feels like a grind...

There are generally two possibilities for a performance decrease: 1. You undertrained/detrained 2. You overtrained. Something tells me you didn't overtrain by not squatting for a week. What you should do is stop being so concerned about what may or may not happen and just do your bloody squats already. Minor tweaks and strains happen. Just show up for your scheduled training sessions and see if you can perform your warmups without any problems, and if so carry on like usual.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KangaJoo View Post
    There are generally two possibilities for a performance decrease: 1. You undertrained/detrained 2. You overtrained. Something tells me you didn't overtrain by not squatting for a week.
    well if those are the two likely culprits, then I'm likely overtraining... I doubt my squat max could reduce 30+lbs (15kg) in 4-5days after 5 months of slowly building it up...

my programming the last 6ish weeks has been high volume and i think i just maxed it out. a typical week looked like this:

M: SQ 3x5 PR, BP PR 5x5, ROW 3x8, OHP 85% 3x8
    W: DL 1x5 PR, OHP PR 6x4, SQ 75% 2x5, CHINS 3x5
    F: SQ 85% 5x5, BP PR 5x5, DL 85% 3x5, OHP 85% 3x8, ROW or CHINS

i may have overtrained the posterior chain with the extra squat & dead volume on fridays.

my back was fine before i went to lift today. but as soon as the squat got to 90kg+ I felt very weak in the low back, not injured just weak, which affected my squat, and that's why my lifts are down, not because of detraining but because of overtraining, i suspect. i could be wrong. who knows

there was never a 'tweak' moment where it was like 'ah, this is an injury.' just a slow gradual loss of range of motion, tightening, & weakening over the last 2 weeks... and now even 10% deload training is making it worse... so ya I guess I'll just deload 20% or more as you suggest and build it up back up... just sucks tho

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12