starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi. I wasn't sure if I was hitting depth so I filmed my squats on Monday. I thought I might as well post them here to get some feedback.
    The video is in reverse chronological order (last set first). I filmed the first set from the side to check depth, and the second set from behind to check bar placement and grip (always been an issue for me, gave myself mild elbow tendinitis by extending the shoulder, until i learnt otherwise).
    (On a side note, should i be considering a light session by now?)

Thank you for your help.

YouTube

Heaviest set goes sour after your first rep - all the rest were high. The warm-up sets preceding that set looked acceptable.

I would also add that your safeties are far too low. They ought to be high enough for you to lean forward and gently bail the bar on them instead of risking throwing it down your back. I'd move them up one or two notches, just not so high you risk slamming the bar against them at the bottom of the rep.

Hard to say with confidence but looks like your wrists aren't in neutral alignment either. Think I'd let a more experienced coach weigh in before you listened to me on that one, though.

In the future try to wear lighter colors for form checks. Hard to see the markers against black leggings. Try white or gray or anything else other than black.

There is no hip drive in any of your sets. When starting the ascent, you must shove the sacral area of your back upwards, not lead up with your chest.

2nd Set: Your stance is too wide. See how your knees are collapsing inwards? Bring the stance in about 3 inches and keep the KNEES OUT. Also I don't think you need a light session yet. The bar is moving at a good pace, so most of the struggle is in your head. Your issues are technique related, not strength, recovery, and programming related.

Thanks for the feedback. Only filmed one set today. Safeties up and lighter clothes.
    I narrowed my stance a lot, as I noticed spinal flexion on my warm-ups when using a wider stance. It's now about hip width. I tried to focus on pushing the hip up from the bottom. However I think I need to do it more, considering the bar path looks like it's moving behind the midfoot.
    I also moved the bar up in my hand, which forced me to widen my grip slightly. It got rid of most of the pain in my arm, so I'm happy.

YouTube

You need to bend more at the hips. You're not leading with the chest like before, but you will get more hip drive if you bend over more. Point your nipples to the floor during the descent.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 06-13-2018 at 08:56 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    You're bending at the knees and hips correctly but on some reps knees keep travelling forward till the bottom. You don't need to bend over more. If you did, the bar would shift forward of your mid foot amd heels would come up off the floor. The bar is staying over mid foot most of the time and you are driving hips correctly. Try set knees forward earlier and force them out. Gain some weight and keep adding weight.