starting strength gym

Thread: Squat chest fall

Default Squat chest fall

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Morning trainees and coaches,
    During my most recent squat max out I've noticed that my chest tends to drop and put me in a goodmorning position and I am thus forced to drive my chest up and screw my hip drive and causing me to miss PRs.I personally don't know how to fix this issue.
    Thanks a lot.

YouTube
    YouTube

These are my top two singles from today max out.I then missed 157.5 kg.

The first video looks nice.

The second video looks exactly as you described it.

I wish I had better advice, but this may come down to "deload, and do it right".

Alternatively, it may help to have someone cue you after you hip drive with "Chest up!"
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by MrCripples View Post
    I've noticed that my chest tends to drop
    I'd rather say it's your hips raising.
    I also see it's a 9.5 RPE, so some break down of form might be expected?

IPB

As long as I stay at about an opener kinda weight it goes ok,so I think I'm gonna start training more singles at that weight and slowly work up keeping form tight.

Thank you a lot about your advice,do you think it is simply because the weight breaks me or am I messing something up in the descent?

Yeah,at high efforts some break down is expected,but I would like to know what do you think I could do to help mitigate it and avoid getting in the same shitty position in terms of technique,programming and assistance work.Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    The first video looks nice.

The second video looks exactly as you described it.

I wish I had better advice, but this may come down to "deload, and do it right".

Alternatively, it may help to have someone cue you after you hip drive with "Chest up!"
    This. In the absence of a coach or training partner, you may have to self cue to overcorrect by thinking of almost leading with your chest to get your back angle to stay where it needs to.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCripples View Post
    Thank you a lot about your advice,do you think it is simply because the weight breaks me or am I messing something up in the descent?
    Partially. On the one hand, the weight is just god damn heavy. On the other hand, you did it right at a slightly lower weight, so you should be able to do it at a heavier weight (theoretically).

This may or may not be the issue, but I notice an issue with people a lot where they don't have the patience. They just want the rep over. This is understandable, but shouldn't affect your lift because you simply don't want to do it. Get used to the idea that 1) The weight is god damn heavy and 2) It's going to take some time. Just go ahead and let it be a little slow. This thinking is best trained on the bench, when you can just sit there and watch the weight go up. I've had full blown conversations with my brain during a heavy bench, because it takes so long and because my brain "speeds" up.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com