starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Put this in the non-SS forum first by mistake; sorry for the missed shot.

To whomever's got the conn: Second set of eyes appreciated. Wanted a look at the squat and bench, too, but the camera is still silly-buggers so I won't give you that headache.

Working set of 5 deadlifts at 350# from today at YouTube

Final lock-in at 21 seconds if you get bored waiting.

What I notice:

1) My head/neck isn't neutral. Need to normalize my gazepoint. Easy fix I think.

2) I see my toes wiggle at the top of every rep. I don't recall feeling this during the set, so ... not sure what to do about that? Not sure if something needs to be done?

3) Second Valsalva at top. When I get to lockout, I want air. Past experience with tweaks during eccentric have taught me that I should be tight on the put-down. Is this merely goofy-looking, or is it a real problem?

Blessings and thanks for your time.

G

Hey Geoff
    A couple things to address...
    Your hips get progressively lower at the start of each rep. When you do your initial set up and bring your shins to the bar, and you're sure you're on midfoot, make note of where the knees contact the arms. Get back in that position, with your the bar on your shins and your weight midfoot. Then squeeze up the back without dropping the hips.
    Squeeze up harder. Harder than you think you need to. Until you're sure every millimeter of slack is pulled out of the bar. Then begin the rep.
    Lastly, I'm not a fan of this changing out the breath at the top. Learn to hold it the whole time.

Thanks sir!

Your timing is impeccable: I've got 1*5 deadlifts tomorrow morning on the NLP. I'll be able to try to implement right away.

So here's my attempt to follow your advice. Apparently I have limited memory space, because all attempts to fix gaze are gone, and I'm leading with my head like crazy. Camera: Near end of barbell is out of frame; apologies. It looked good in pre.

BUT I am trying to:

1) Squeeze up way tighter than I think I have to

2) Feel all the weight of the bar in my hands before the rep, and

3) Breathe only once per rep

I'm relying on 1 and 2 above to get my hips normalized. I also admit that limited memory space drove the "normalize knees point of contact with arms" right out of my head, so I don't know if I hit that mark or not.

Video at YouTube

Final lock-in at 26 seconds.

These look better. Please trim down the videos in the future.
    When you squeeze up, try get the bar to bend upwards when you left your chest to set your back. Watch this video of Cassi and Niki YouTube
    Your hips look like they're in a better position rep to rep.
    Keep at it. You're on the right track.

starting strength coach development program
    Roger and thanks. I'll stop pestering you for now, and work with what you've given me.

Comments for the record: Keeping the breath through the eccentric feels immediately stronger. So does the chest-squeeze you prescribed, even when imperfectly executed by the trainee.

G