starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Shoes: could they be causing a problem?

Default Squat Shoes: could they be causing a problem?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I spent the majority of my life as an obese child/adult.l, tipping the scale at a high of 407lbs. Being that big and that sedentary has caused a myriad of mobility hurtles, culminating in what has become maybe the ugliest and least consistent squat. Both in terms of my ankle and hip flexibility. In an attempt to overcome these issues, I have been squatting with a raised heel, on a plate, before upgrading my footwear, to be able to do anything that looks like a squat.

My issue is this: I recently began testing my squat on flat ground and have noticed that it's actually easier to hit depth without a raised heel.

Was I doing myself a disservice by making my movement less efficient by widening up the angle of my hips at lockout? Or am I over thinking the most important movement we do? Or am I just paying for my sins of being fat and lazy for 30 years by having a shitty squat?

You are letting your knees slide forward, the most common problem in squatting. It's not your shoes. Post a video.

My next squat session is Thursday. I will be sure to upload as much as I can. I really appreciate your input.

Make one of the sets a side view so we can see how the knees move during your descent.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Make one of the sets a side view so we can see how the knees move during your descent.
    I definitely will

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You are letting your knees slide forward, the most common problem in squatting. It's not your shoes. Post a video.
    Here is my last set from today. I haven't been going very heavy this last week because I've been trying to make sure I'm even doing the damn lift correctly.

YouTube