starting strength gym

Thread: how do you guys breathe between reps on the press?

Default how do you guys breathe between reps on the press?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    seriously, what the hell? I just found out everyone else was doing this. How do you maintain tightness with all of that air flowing in and out of your lungs, is there sme cue or something? Is it really not easier to just take a big breath and then crank the reps out one after another?

I tried it on my ten percent offset day today and it made it really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Is it really not easier to just take a big breath and then crank the reps out one after another?
    Sweet Jesus no. I feel like I'd pass out on rep 3, and I don't even bench or press that much. I'm sure there are others that do but that's a scary thought to me, especially on the bench.

Idk, I just keep my chest up and don't breathe out 100% to where I'm caving over. Usually just a little bit of volume exchange works for me.

seriously, what the hell? I just found out everyone else was doing this. How do you maintain tightness with all of that air flowing in and out of your lungs, is there sme cue or something? Is it really not easier to just take a big breath and then crank the reps out one after another?

I tried it on my ten percent offset day today and it made it really hard.
    Press 1.0 or 2.0?

Hi,

I normally breathe at the top of a rep. It's usually just a shallow breath, nothing more.

IPB

I punch out two reps on a single breath taken prior to unracking, then breathe at the top for each of the remainder of the reps. Tried punching out three reps but id occassionally get oxgyen short so I quit doing to that. I tried breathing at the bottom but Im using the stretch reflex so couldn't work out how to coordinate that properly.

I feel pretty solid breathing at the top but then I'm only using 70kg. Mind you I did just recently start raising the safeties up high for that just in case possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Press 1.0 or 2.0?

Some research has revealed that perhaps I should be breathing at the top for this? Can you confirm?

starting strength coach development program

Some research has revealed that perhaps I should be breathing at the top for this? Can you confirm?
    Yes. Breathe at the top, with the bar held in a HARD shrug at lockout.