starting strength gym

Thread: Form guidance -- hip pain

Default Form guidance -- hip pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have had mild hip pain on the right side close to the femur insertion. Tried taking off two weeks from squats and commuting by bike and taking Aleve. The pain did not go away although it is a bit less pronounced now.

I'd like to nail down my squat form in case that is causing or aggravating the pain. Your help is appreciated. The squat should be easy for me, I was doing 310 two weeks ago and reduced the weight down to 275 for this first set after the rest period.

Squat, 275x5x3
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube

Deadlift 335x5
    YouTube
    YouTube

Thank you!

I’m no expert, and this may not be causing your hip pain, but:

Squat - you need to bend your knees and hips at the same time, not hips first then knees. I will say that I used to do that and had some hip pain as well, which has since subsided.

Deadlift - you seem to be exhibiting the classic step 4 error, where you drop your hips to set the back, and this kicks the bar forward. Freeze your hips on step 4, and instead squeeze the bar off the floor to set your back.

Thank you for the feedback Eric.

I see what you are saying on the squat. That seems helpful, will focus on breaking simultaneously.

On the deadlift, are you sure ? It doesn't feel like that and I don't see it in the video except maybe one or two reps where I pull the bar back in after setting. So I don't think I'm making this error but will definitely be mindful of it next time.

Quote Originally Posted by CremaKing View Post
    On the deadlift, are you sure ?
    Thought I saw it a few times, perhaps not. Others may have a keener eye. A little hard to tell IMO because the bar moves around quite a bit on the platform.

In addition to what Eric said,

get deeper on your squat and push your knees out. Hip pain is usually associated with not pushing your knees away from each other much (or having too close a stance which looks mostly fine on yours).
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thank you both. Life got in the way this week but I finally was able to try your suggestions today.

Squat, 285x5x3
    Set 1 YouTube
    Set 2 YouTube
    Set 3 YouTube

Please try not to let the hot girl in the background in the third set distract you... In these sets I was keeping in mind three key points from your feedback:
    1. break knees and hips simultaneously
    2. Knees out
    3. go deeper

My own observations: I think I have 2 and 3 down in these sets. I can see 1. break down occasionally but mostly looks much smoother than last time. This lifting session really took a bite out of me, I guess going deeper is hard.

You feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I only watched the third set.

These look better. Try to speed it up just a touch on the way down. That might help.

"I guess going deeper is hard."

Yeah. That tends to be the case.

"Please try not to let the hot girl in the background in the third set distract you"
    >Forward dumbbell arm raises
    >2/10; would not bang
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Thank you for the feedback Andrew, I'll work on the speed on the descent.

starting strength coach development program
    You're welcome. I hope it helps.