starting strength gym

Thread: My squat doesn't feel or look right

Default My squat doesn't feel or look right

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Morning trainees and coaches,
    During my year of barbell training I have always struggled with squats,and to fix my incosistent technique I started using Tempo Squats as a variation,the problem is that the same type of form breakdown that happens in my comp lift still persists despite the low load and the extremely controlled rep,thus making me think that I have either a screwed movement pattern or do the wrong thing and don't even try to correct it because I don't know is there.
    YouTube
    Thank you for your help.

It sounds like you might be overthinking. You're squats look a little weird because you're super flexible. I would start by moving out your grip width about palm width in each direction. Also you're hyper extending your spine slightly. During the lift visualize your back as a 2"x4" tilted over at 45 degrees and moving in a perfectly vertical path without bending, turning, rotating etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post
    It sounds like you might be overthinking. You're squats look a little weird because you're super flexible. I would start by moving out your grip width about palm width in each direction. Also you're hyper extending your spine slightly. During the lift visualize your back as a 2"x4" tilted over at 45 degrees and moving in a perfectly vertical path without bending, turning, rotating etc.
    Yeah,but if I move my grip out I get kicked forward on the way up

If you keep getting kicked forward, think "Heels" instead of "Mid foot." There's a good chance that what feels like mid foot to you is actually a little too far forward, so heels might be just right.

Well,looks right you were right.I tried widening my grip and thinking "heels" and this was my top single today.
    YouTube
    I don't know about you,but it looks real good to me.Could you point out something else?
    Thank you,man you are really helpful.

My two cents:

You're initiating your squat by pushing your ass out first.
    You're looking straight against the wall
    By shoving your ass out so far back your ascent make your squat look like a good morning. Your knees come way back, your hips are way back and you're ass is coming up way quicker.

Try these cues next time:
    Look down
    "open the knees" ;when you unlock and get them in position slightly in front of your toes.
    "nipples to the floor" ;this will hopefully get your back angle correct and your hips not so far back

Are you talking about the first video or or the second?Cause I've been fixing some of that stuff and I'm more upright in the second video.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCripples View Post
    Are you talking about the first video or or the second?Cause I've been fixing some of that stuff and I'm more upright in the second video.
    My reply was for your second video.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    My reply was for your second video.
    Thank you man,I didn't see the problem with my hips going too far back,I'll try to stay more upright.