• starting strength seminar august 2024
    Heres my deadlift (I'm at 175)-
    YouTube

Heres my Squat: (Im at 185)
    I've noticed I can do it with my back a bit flatter like this:
    YouTube

Or steeper like this:
    YouTube

Do you think one form is better than the other?
    Heres a photo of the Squat at the bottom.bottomposition.jpg

Thoughts/Critiques?

Small quibble, but your back should be "flat" regardless of back angle. What you're referring to is a more vertical or horizontal back angle. Bigger quibble, you're not even close to parallel in your "flatter" video, and it looks like the lean is taking the bar forward of your midfoot. There are more experienced eyes than mine that can weigh in on that though. The problem is, posting videos with just the empty bar is almost useless. Everyone's form changes when the weight gets heavier, so if you want a real form check you're going to have to post a working set, preferably your third set of 5.

For the deadlifts, again, post a full working set. To my eye it looks decent. One thing I notice is that you're breathing all throughout each rep, which means you're not supporting your spine with a properly held Valsalva maneuver. Get your breath at the bottom, complete the rep, and get your breath again when the bar's back on the floor. The other thing I'm not seeing is an effort to squeeze your chest up after you take your grip and set your hips. Your back isn't horribly rounded or anything, but normally the effort of squeezing the chest up is visible, as is some degree of further straightening of the thoracic spine.

I'm also curious how your deadlifts feel to you, just because they're lighter than your squats. Is there a reason for this? It's not unheard of, but the reverse is more common. It's just that the video of your deadlifts doesn't look particularly strenuous, but then again I can't tell if you have 175 on there or just 135 for demo purposes.

Key takeaway: More and better video is needed for a better analysis. Read the sticky about how to get the best video.

Thanks Dillon!