starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Post Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coaches,

I'm 5ft 9" at 89kg. Diet is above calorific requirements but I might be too carb heavy and not enough protein. Working on fixing this ASAP. Sleep is also good for the most part though my work is a little hectic.

I restarted LP around March. I had a few setbacks with form since then, including issues with bar position and hip depth imbalance. Squatting was causing pain so had to deload a few times to analyse what the issues were.

How is it looking? I do feel weights are getting heavy and I feel almost out of breath by the last rep which I don't think I should be.

Thanks very much!

First, please read the sticky - we can't help you if we can't see you, and black makes it very, very hard to see landmarks, which is why we ask you not to wear in, in sticky, when filming form checks.

These all apear high, by about an inch. Part of the problem is that you're trying to sit DOWN to depth, when you should be sitting BACK, and bending over more. Get your knees forward sooner, and then sit BACK / DOWN (while bending over) - really reach back. Keep the knees out hard while doing this.

The other issue is your head position - you're pointing it down between your feet. Pick your head up to a more neutral position, and look at a point 5-6' out in front of you. Keep your head still during the rep. Just move your eyes. Finally, show more hip drive out of the bottom - drive your hips up hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    First, please read the sticky - we can't help you if we can't see you, and black makes it very, very hard to see landmarks, which is why we ask you not to wear in, in sticky, when filming form checks.
    Thanks Coach for telling me and analysing it despite that - won't do it next time.

These all apear high, by about an inch. Part of the problem is that you're trying to sit DOWN to depth, when you should be sitting BACK, and bending over more. Get your knees forward sooner, and then sit BACK / DOWN (while bending over) - really reach back. Keep the knees out hard while doing this.
    I'll lower the weight and try again. The issue for me is, the more I sit back, the more my hips lower down unevenly and it causes pain on my left hip. I don't know why but this suddenly fixed itself as I started sitting down instead of back. Perhaps I need to drive my knees out A LOT more?

The other issue is your head position - you're pointing it down between your feet. Pick your head up to a more neutral position, and look at a point 5-6' out in front of you. Keep your head still during the rep. Just move your eyes. Finally, show more hip drive out of the bottom - drive your hips up hard.
    Got it. I don't know how this habit formed but I noticed it too, thanks for confirming that it needs to stop.

Am I correct in thinking that hip drive gets more effective the more I sit back?

Thanks again Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheak Asif Hussain View Post
    Thanks Coach for telling me and analysing it despite that - won't do it next time.

I'll lower the weight and try again. The issue for me is, the more I sit back, the more my hips lower down unevenly and it causes pain on my left hip. I don't know why but this suddenly fixed itself as I started sitting down instead of back. Perhaps I need to drive my knees out A LOT more?
    Not sure on that, I can't see your other squat from here. Try it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheak Asif Hussain View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that hip drive gets more effective the more I sit back?

Thanks again Coach.
    Yes. Because the more you sit back the more you bend over, which is the important thing.

Got it - I'll try sitting back and getting that depth without moving my head. Thanks Coach.