starting strength gym

Thread: Involving hamstrings on multiple rep deadlift sets

Default Involving hamstrings on multiple rep deadlift sets

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When I do my first deadlift rep, I set up well and make sure I'm loading my hamstrings. But on multiple rep sets, I don't think I load my hamstrings after the first rep, and so my low back takes on too much of the job. Aside from fully setting up again after every rep, can anyone recommend a cue or tip that might help me keep my hamstrings involved for every rep in my set? (And is fully setting up after each rep an option?) Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.B. View Post
    And is fully setting up after each rep an option?
    Sure, just don't take 2 minutes to do it. And assuming you set the bar back down over the middle of the foot, steps 1 - 3 are not really necessary.

You do not need to "load the hamstrings". You need to set your back into extension. This pulls the pelvis forward, lengthening the hamstrings, and gives the hamstrings something rigid to pull on so they can contract concentrically and thus contribute to the hip extension.

Stop thinking "load the hamstrings" are start thinking about getting your chest up (step 4). Do this before every rep. It is hard to do.

Andy Baker gave me the cue of "Midfoot, Arch, Pull" to remind myself to get set up, get the back extended and tight, and then to start the pull.

As far as back tightness / chest up cues, there are many. One that works for me is to think about squeezing a stack of papers in my armpits. Imagine the scenario: you have to take your kids with you on a very important job interview and now they are acting like little shits and being difficult. You have to drag them along but can't drop your stack of resumes that you need for the interview. You stick these in your armpit and you hold on for dear life while you drag your little asshole kids to the orphanage. I mean interview.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 06-25-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks - that's *extremely* helpful!

Another useful, albeit less humorous cue, is to imagine yourself holding on to the bar so that you can push the floor away. In this scenario you are not so much pulling the bar up as you are using the bar as leverage while you push down. Hold on to that bar for dear life and use it to push the floor away from you.

This is also a helpful cue to initiate the deadlift with knee extension rather than hip extension, which some people (myself) may have a tendency to do.