starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check Please!

Default Squat Form Check Please!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All -- long time lurker, asking for my first form check. My progress has stalled and therefore believe I need to improve my form, but am at a loss of where to start. Any and all feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

YouTube

The most glaring thing I notice is that it looks like there's a ton of lateral movement in your hips. They're not coming straight back up, but instead swinging way out to the left or right. I noticed myself doing a much less exaggerated version of the same thing when I took video from straight on behind the other day. My hips tend to shift a little to my left, so I'm going to try to be conscious of it when I squat tonight. I'm not sure if there's a better way to fix it than just being aware of it and consciously trying to drive your hips back up in a straight line. All that side to side movement has to be extremely inefficient, and I can't imagine it's doing your hips and knees any favours either.

Agree with DillonS, the hip movement is pretty extreme. It looks like you are mostly using one leg to lift. In the absence of better advice, I would suggest deloading and focusing on staying symmetric, using both legs in the same way at the same time.

Also, move your stance in a little. Too much width will worsen any asymmetries.

When I kept leaning to the right with my squats, my SSC had me:

1. move my grip 1 finger width to the left.
    2. Pull the bar down slightly on the left side while slightly raising my right arm.
    3. Drive the right foot down slightly harder than the left.

Film it directly from the rear to make sure the bar stays level. It didn't feel good, but everything was symmetrical after about 2 squat workouts.

I agree with all the above regarding stance and lateral hip movement. Additionally you do not have your spine in rigid extension, BEFORE you unrack the weight make sure you get your chest big to set your thoracic spine, next your lumbar spine is going into flexion at the bottom of your squat, think about "sticking your butt out" throughout the squat. You may have to think about/practice that last cue before you get under the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. Started working on this today and it looks like it will be a process to fix the hip movement issue. Back to the grind!