starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DL form check 310x5

Default DL form check 310x5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Coaches,

Program is a variant of Andy Bakers annual periodization. This is the 3rd set of 5. Using straps because I’m doing multiple sets; I do the first set without straps.

Im noticing that the first half of the lift is much tougher than the second half (basically until the bar reaches my knees). I am also finding the bar drifts off my legs here and there, but especially after the bar passes my knees.

Any comments appreciated - thanks.

YouTube

Hi Peter,

I think these are tougher than they need to be because you are not starting it off the floor with knee extension. In the deadlift, we extend knees and hips, and it should start off the floor with knee extension. Hips will extend soon enough. This is also likely the reason the barbell is drifting off your skin. Rep 1 was the best, but as the set goes on you are neglecting to extend your knees. Watch the angle your tibia makes with your femur. It should change within the first 6 inches of the pull, but it isn't.

So, get yourself set, deep breath, chest up hard, and push the floor away.

Hi Karl

Thanks for the comments! Looking at the video I can see the variation from rep 1 to the other reps. Rep 3 and 4 look like the worst. The change is subtle though, isn’t it? I assume there is some opening of the hip angle as the knees extend after say the first inch or two?

Secondly, in terms of half way up (when the bar passes say the knee), Is it too far to assume that my knees should be pretty much locked out, or is that too far? I still have a good 15+ degrees of extension to go and since I frequently have scraped knees...might be a reoccurring theme.

In any event I’ll give it a shot on Friday when I deadlift again and post a new video. Thanks again!!

Yes, hip angle opens up pretty soon, but it can't be the only joint opening up off the floor. If you keep the barbell on your skin and start the deadlift correctly, the angles should take care of themselves. Knees will be more extended than they are now when the barbell goes past.

You are welcome!

Hi Karl

As promised, here’s today’s DL. This was set 2 of 3.

I had a really hard time keeping the bar on my legs. Like as soon as I started off the floor it swung out.

Thanks for your help!

YouTube

Hey Peter,

the knee extension is better, but you're kicking it off your shins. Let's get you to set your weight just a little bit back before you pull. Do it on step 2, when you take your grip, and then do the rest of the steps.

Do you need straps at 315? I'd build up your grip strength, if I were you.

Check out Delgadillo's description of how to do the weight shift on step 2. I think it will be helpful.

Deadlift Setup Fix | Nick Delgadillo

Hi Karl,

Thanks again. I’ll try this out next week — much appreciated.

Any though on what happens as I get it past my knees? It looks like they kick forward...anything to worry about?

I am doing a top single plus 3 sets of 5; so I usually do the single and the first set of five with a hook grip, then switch to straps. Grip is rarely a problem, I do it to avoid shredding my hands entirely since I also do 4 sets of 5 snatch grip dl on Monday (medium) and rows/PC on Wednesday (light). With those I also do the first set without straps...should I do more without?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dempster View Post
    Any though on what happens as I get it past my knees? It looks like they kick forward...anything to worry about?
    It looks like you're rocking back on your heels as you start the pull, putting the bar slightly behind midfoot, and the knees coming back forward is you trying to get the bar back over midfoot. You can see the bar path move back a bit.

Knee extension looks better, as Karl mentioned. Just stay in midfoot.

Oh man!

Thanks for this both Karl and Pete. It’s snatch grip DL day today but I really felt this come together in terms of the leg movement. Unfortunately no video so I’ll post something Friday to confirm. Gents thanks so much!

starting strength coach development program
    I think we are getting better; but my sense is that these end up (on reps 3 and 4) looking more like still legged deadlifts. Shifted to 4 sets of 4 as per programming. These felt heavy and hard on the low back.

YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast