starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift: combine mix and hook grip?

Default Deadlift: combine mix and hook grip?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How stupid of an idea is this?

I was supposed to do 240kgx3x3 as part of peaking to a new max in two weeks (not for a competition). I use mix grip and my pronated hand was giving out on the 2nd rep of set one and was unable to do 3 reps. The rest of the session then went to shit as I unsuccessfully tried straps and missed reps. I can't do near limit deadlifts without a mix grip, the action of supinating a hand is part of my technique in tightening my upper back. I simply can't lift as much without doing so.
    As a temporary measure, so I can continue to hopefully increase the weight over the next two weeks, what are your thoughts/experience (if any) of using a hook grip (pronated hand) in combination with a regular supinted grip?

Thanks

I've never heard of any high level lifters doing that, so I'd assume there's a good reason. My guess is that the solution involves a technique correction or a change in programming, not a new grip.

Yeah I'd never heard of it before and an initial google search didn't reveal anything. Then found this https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...1&pagenumber=1
    A picture of bill starr, of all people, utilising a hook mixed grip. So think I'll give it a bash.

The hookgrip isn't going to work right in the supinated hand well IMO.
    The angle of pull is going to be off.

Bill Star was probably pretty good at hookgrip to begin with I'm guessing why he was able to pull it off.

Please report back your findings, really curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    The hookgrip isn't going to work right in the supinated hand well IMO.
    The angle of pull is going to be off.

Bill Star was probably pretty good at hookgrip to begin with I'm guessing why he was able to pull it off.

Please report back your findings, really curious.
    My grips failing on my pronated hand so the option is to hook with that hand only. Again hooking with one hand only might raise other issues, I really don't know. My hooks pretty good, although not bill starr level, I've snatched grip deadlifted 500lbs with it. I'll post back here next week with the results.

One of the lifters at IPF worlds a couple weeks ago used a mixed hook grip. Don't recall which lifter. I had not seen it before.

starting strength coach development program
    Tried the mix hook last Sunday and it went ok, nothing broke although ripped a callous off which I've done before anyway using normal mix and hook. Grip still gave out a bit but was slightly more secure than last week. I think with practice there's room for technique improvement as well.