starting strength gym

Thread: Squat vertical bar path

Default Squat vertical bar path

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi folks.

Squat

I know I don't have a vertical bar path and I want to know how to fix this. Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong cues.

First time using squat shoes.

Forgot to say my knees cave in a bit and I sometimes shoot my hips up on the ascent

I think most of your issues are knee related. They need to be in position about half way down and stay there. Yours are moving around too much. I think the TUBOW work will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post
    I think most of your issues are knee related. They need to be in position about half way down and stay there. Yours are moving around too much. I think the TUBOW work will help you.
    You may very well have a point there.
    On my gym there aren't tubows but I can probably improvise. That and some deload to correct my technique?

Quote Originally Posted by Razraal View Post
    Hi folks.

Squat

I know I don't have a vertical bar path and I want to know how to fix this. Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong cues.

First time using squat shoes.
    Hard to tell from this angle, I wish I could see your other foot.
    Bar path aside, do you feel the pressure midfoot? or do you feel like you are going onto your toes?
    I doesn't look that bad to me.

Some bar paths will go forward a tiny bit; as your body's mass goes backward, the bar may come forward a tad.
    If you are a 230 lb. dude squatting 315, and your hind quarters and most of your mass have to go rearward....well, the bar must come forward a bit.
    As the bar weight bar gets super heavy, yes it will be more perfectly vertical.
    Say, if you are a 160 dude with 405 on the bar, then yes ... the barbell dominates the whole system.

ARTICLE: Mid-Foot Balance | CJ Gotcher

However, the CCOM isn’t always in line with the bar. If the weight on the bar is light enough in a squat, for instance, the lifter’s body will have a greater influence on the CCOM than the barbell, and the correct body position for moving heavy weight will set the hips back far enough that most of the lifter’s mass will be behind the mid-foot, meaning the bar has to be forward of the mid-foot to stay in balance.
    It might take a few workouts to get used to the new shoes.

Maybe your knees could "get into place sooner", is about the only thing I see that could be improved much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Hard to tell from this angle, I wish I could see your other foot.
    Bar path aside, do you feel the pressure midfoot? or do you feel like you are going onto your toes?
    I doesn't look that bad to me.
    I was concentrating on keeping the pressure even throughout the whole movement.

Some bar paths will go forward a tiny bit; as your body's mass goes backward, the bar may come forward a tad.
    If you are a 230 lb. dude squatting 315, and your hind quarters and most of your mass have to go rearward....well, the bar must come forward a bit.
    As the bar weight bar gets super heavy, yes it will be more perfectly vertical.
    Say, if you are a 160 dude with 405 on the bar, then yes ... the barbell dominates the whole system.
    I understand what you're saying. On my case I weight 81kg/178.6lb and that was 125kg/275.6lb, so the difference is a bit higher from your given example, and by now the barbell mass should be more dominant.

Maybe your knees could "get into place sooner", is about the only thing I see that could be improved much.
    By applying the recommendation given by Brian about TUBOW?

Check this out:
    Get your knees forward and keep them forward

You are pulling your knees back out of the bottom as Alan describes in the video.

TUBOW will help, or just watch your knees as described in the blue book page 56.

Keep on working!

Quote Originally Posted by Razraal View Post
    You may very well have a point there.
    On my gym there aren't tubows but I can probably improvise. That and some deload to correct my technique?
    Every correct squat will feature some small degree of backward movement of the knees out of the bottom. It is the unavoidable consequence of a quad extension, as is a slight -- 3-4 degrees -- back angle change out of the bottom. It should not be so severe as to generate a wholesale goodmorning, but it will happen, and Alan's video demonstrates this if you watch it with the sound off. The second rep of Raz's squat is better than his first, but he's not on his heels, the bar does not flop forward, and he's not doing a goodmorning. The only thing I see wrong with this squat is that the stance is a bit wide. Hips are leading, bar speed is pretty damned constant, bar path looks fine. It's okay to not find an exotic problem with every posted for check.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Every correct squat will feature some small degree of backward movement of the knees out of the bottom. It is the unavoidable consequence of a quad extension, as is a slight -- 3-4 degrees -- back angle change out of the bottom. It should not be so severe as to generate a wholesale goodmorning, but it will happen, and Alan's video demonstrates this if you watch it with the sound off. The second rep of Raz's squat is better than his first, but he's not on his heels, the bar does not flop forward, and he's not doing a goodmorning. The only thing I see wrong with this squat is that the stance is a bit wide. Hips are leading, bar speed is pretty damned constant, bar path looks fine. It's okay to not find an exotic problem with every posted for check.
    Thanks for the eye, coach!

Looking forward to further "Ask Rip" videos!