starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been stalling in squats, and my left knee's been aching a bit afterwards and I'm not sure why. I stalled at 240 (form wasn't great at 240 -- depth too high), backed off to 220, and now I've worked up to 230 and it's bugging me again. As you can see I also failed the 3rd set here at 230. Let me know if you see any problems. Thanks!

1st set YouTube

2nd set YouTube

3rd set (3 reps, failed 4th) YouTube

Looking at the 3rd set -->

Why are your rolling the bar around on your back? The bar starts off too high and it looks like you are intentionally rolling it higher? Grip it so it doesn't roll! A bar with center knurling would help as well.

- Put the bar 1/2" lower on your back (at the start). You end up rolling it up into a high bar position by the end.
    - When you unrack, get your hips under the bar, get a proud chest, then unrack. You are currently doing a good morning to unrack.
    - Proper footwear would help you a lot
    - Stay in your hips a touch longer and drive your knees out harder.
    - Work on *slightly* speeding up your descent into the hole (stay tight, don't dive-bomb). You are basically doing tempo squats here which are harder.

Focus on: bar position, knees out more, a little faster descent

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin K View Post
    I've been stalling in squats, and my left knee's been aching a bit afterwards and I'm not sure why. I stalled at 240 (form wasn't great at 240 -- depth too high), backed off to 220, and now I've worked up to 230 and it's bugging me again. As you can see I also failed the 3rd set here at 230. Let me know if you see any problems. Thanks!

1st set YouTube

2nd set YouTube

3rd set (3 reps, failed 4th) YouTube
    What shoes do you have on? It looks like your feet have to do a lot of micro corrections to stabilize. Have you considered buying lifting shoes?

I agree with the previous statements. Additionally, I would get a t shirt that's either 100% cotton or 50% cotton 50% polyester. The fancy athletic fabrics make the bar slip. Especially with no center knurling.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will be sure to focus on those technique points and wear a less slippery shirt. I think the shirt is probably part of the reason I'm not getting the low bar placement.

The shoes I'm wearing right now are just athletic cross trainers with flat heel (no elevated heel). You're right, they aren't great -- I do a lot of foot wiggling. But I feel a lot more balanced lifting in shoes without an elevated heel. (Not sure how to explain, but it feels like the heel kind of "pitches me forward" and it's hard to keep the bar over mid-foot). Do they make lifting shoes like that? All the shoes I can find seem to have big 1" heels.