starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - Good Morning Squat

Default Squat Form Check - Good Morning Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Starting Strength Forum,

I'm struggling with the form of most of my lifts. Today I was able to take some shots of the squats I did. The video shows the 3rd set of 200lbs squats. I hope the video quality and placement of the phone is okay.

28 years old
    BW: 69kgs / 152lb

The thing I noticed is that I have the good morning / squat situation going on. How do I get rid of that?

What other advices do you have?

Thanks in advance
    Dom

I have a workout buddy who was having the same problem and the problem went away by keeping the bar midfoot.
    -Make a small reset 5-10 pounds to your worksets
    -Take the squat stance with symmetrical feet positions
    -Shift your weight on your toes and then to your heel and then back so the weight on your feet feels balanced and equal
    -Really focus on keeping the weight balanced on your feet throughout the whole movement
    -LOOK DOWN to get on the hips to draive

Try these and see if it helps.

I think your back is too vertical in your decent. You need to get your back angle set, correctly, on the descent. Here are some links.

Correcting Squat Back Angle | Mark Rippetoe

Is my back angle too high?

I disagree with the back angle assessment. Dom, you have long femurs relative to your torso so you can expect to be leaned over a touch more than the average person. Your knees will also be a touch forward of your toes (instead of directly over them). Go watch SSC Niki Sims squat as an example. Having said that, I think your knees travel too far forward. Try to stop them where they are in the snapshot below and *sit back* from that point. Note that they should get to this point prior to when I've taken the snapshot. Don't go too deep, overall these are decent.

Capture.JPG

Do not deload. Instead, do tempo squats for your warm up sets. 3 seconds down, 3 seconds up, no pause at the bottom. Focus on getting the knees in the right place and keeping them there as you sit back.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ruhl View Post
    Having said that, I think your knees travel too far forward. Try to stop them where they are in the snapshot below and *sit back* from that point. Note that they should get to this point prior to when I've taken the snapshot. Don't go too deep, overall these are decent.
    Good call Greg, just did some googling. Found a good video about it that says just that. Thanks for the lesson!

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you guys for your help. Never thought about how my long femurs affect my squatting. I try to keep you updated on the changes.