starting strength gym

Thread: Where should I feel the weight when breaking the deadlift off the ground?

Default Where should I feel the weight when breaking the deadlift off the ground?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm having trouble getting a feel for the deadlift. I was able to advance adding 10 lbs per day 3x a week until I got to 385 lbs, but now I'm stuck. I've been keeping my hips high and trying to break the bar off the floor with my quads, but as the weight has gotten heavier it's been harder to keep my hips in position. Really, I just don't feel like I'm in a position to generate a lot of strength even though I'm setting up (or at least trying to set up) how the book recommends. I think my problem is that I'm not pushing from the right place.

I think to keep my hips high I would probably feel the weight somewhat in my hamstrings, pushing with my heels. But trying to start the lift with my quads has me attempting to extend my knee and that doesn't feel very powerful, and seems like it forces my hips down. Can anyone explain what a good deadlift FEELS like, in terms of where are you pushing/pulling during the movement off the ground?

Push the floor away from you with the MIDDLE of your foot.

Thanks for the response. So for the first few inches should my back angle be basically static? Then after the bar breaks the ground the hips get involved?

The hips are always involved in the lift, even if your back angle remains static, because if they weren't, the back angle would change towards horizontal. Hamstrings maintain the back angle off the floor, and that means the hips are "involved." For the first inch or two, the back angle is relatively constant. That begins to change, and more rapidly, the higher the bar gets.